Tinneal

Help! I Keep Losing All Of My Sewing Needles!

I keep losing my harness needles - especially the smaller gauge ones. How does everyone here store them? I'd like a method that is portable, as I carry a kit with me when I camp and ride.

I keep mine in a shot glass on my bench, but if you need portability, maybe an old prescription bottle?

I keep all my harness needles in an empty saddle soap tin. That would also give you space for thread and a piece of beeswax and would be easy to pack!

I stick mine on an old cow magnet and then to a metal front on a shelf. For those with inquiring minds, yes that particular magnet was used.

Bruce,

So did she die of hardware anyway and did you use the hide?

Hey Tinneal,

Go to your local outdoors/sporting goods store and look for Plano boxes (or the equivalent) I keep all my stitching and lacing needles in a Plano model 3449-22. These work great for lots of other things too (think grommets, rivets, snaps, assorted setting tools for same, assorted hardware, etc. etc. etc.) One word of wisdom, if you're gonna store all your rivets and grommets and snaps in one, make sure its one of the better ones with the REALLY good snap shut lid that doesn't fly open when it gets knocked off a bench (I think they call them ProLatch).

-Aaron

Here's the one I use for needles Plano Double Side

Edited by sandycreek

Bruce,

So did she die of hardware anyway and did you use the hide?

Denise, I used to buy cow magnets for a quarter apiece from a skinner at the tallow works.

Aaron, Good idea about the Planos. I snagged a small one from my boat and will use it to sort out the sewing machine needles.

Hey Tinneal,

Go to your local outdoors/sporting goods store and look for Plano boxes (or the equivalent) I keep all my stitching and lacing needles in a Plano model 3449-22. These work great for lots of other things too (think grommets, rivets, snaps, assorted setting tools for same, assorted hardware, etc. etc. etc.) One word of wisdom, if you're gonna store all your rivets and grommets and snaps in one, make sure its one of the better ones with the REALLY good snap shut lid that doesn't fly open when it gets knocked off a bench (I think they call them ProLatch).

-Aaron

Here's the one I use for needles Plano Double Side

Thanks! I have a box similar to a Plano, but a cheaper version that came with a soft tool bag I got. It works well for hardware, but the lid doesn't seal flush with the dividers, so every time it gets turned on it's side for storage, small things like needles and burrs end up scattered amongst the various sections. I assume these Plano ones don't do that? I'd gladly toss this one I have now if it's as good as you say it is!

Thanks! I have a box similar to a Plano, but a cheaper version that came with a soft tool bag I got. It works well for hardware, but the lid doesn't seal flush with the dividers, so every time it gets turned on it's side for storage, small things like needles and burrs end up scattered amongst the various sections. I assume these Plano ones don't do that? I'd gladly toss this one I have now if it's as good as you say it is!

I keep mine in a little plastic baggy. But recently I bought some small plastic food storage containers that are rectangles. The fit in my drawer nicely and have a snap on lit.

I was thinking about your little box with dividers. If you have a piece of leather or material thin enough cut it to fit the inside of the lid and glue it in place. It will take up the space and help solver your problem.

I assume these Plano ones don't do that? I'd gladly toss this one I have now if it's as good as you say it is!

Hey Tinneal,

I just went over to my work desk and shook the living daylights out of the box and nothing slipped over the dividers. The one I have is a dead match for the link I posted (although mine is labeled as a 3449-DS instead of 3449-22). The lids on both sides kind of have a curve to them and the dividers have a matching curve. I can't remember now what size my smallest needles are, but just looking at the box it looks like it would take an awfully small needle saddle needle to slip between the dividers and lid. Hope that's helpful!

-Aaron

Have you ever considered a making yourself a needle wallet or needle case from leather? That way, you get to showcase some of your work, and keep the needles where they should be at the same time.

Needle cases:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/98011222/small-wood-needle-case-red-pink-floral?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS

http://www.wymarc.com/apprentice/THE_NEEDLE_CASE.pdf (see Figures 19, 20, 22, 26 for examples of needle cases of leather)

Needle wallets:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/93148273/watermelon-print-sewing-needle-wallet

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LEATHER-SEWING-NEEDLE-WALLET-HOLDER-CASE-CLOWN-IMAGE-/250896939791#vi-content

Have you ever considered a making yourself a needle wallet or needle case from leather? That way, you get to showcase some of your work, and keep the needles where they should be at the same time.

Needle cases:

http://www.etsy.com/...tm_campaign=GPS

http://www.wymarc.co...NEEDLE_CASE.pdf (see Figures 19, 20, 22, 26 for examples of needle cases of leather)

Needle wallets:

http://www.etsy.com/...g-needle-wallet

http://www.ebay.com/...9791#vi-content

Thanks for this! I'm going to try get something on paper tonight. I'll keep you updated.

You may not have canned green chilis that far north? But I took a green chili can, they are small, about 2" in dia and about an 1 1/2' tall. I rolled up corrugated cardboard and filled the can with that. I stick all my needles in that cardboard and have not lost a needle since I made this gadget. I'll take a pic of it and post it.

You may not have canned green chilis that far north? But I took a green chili can, they are small, about 2" in dia and about an 1 1/2' tall. I rolled up corrugated cardboard and filled the can with that. I stick all my needles in that cardboard and have not lost a needle since I made this gadget. I'll take a pic of it and post it.

How do people live without green chilis?

Hobby Shops sell magnetic sheets or strips, or disks

. You could always glue a square in a compartment of a plano box, in the bottom of a tin, or even use to slide in and out of a needle wallet or small case.

I know I couldn't do it. I'd go through green chili withdrawal and probably get the bends!

Edited by gringobill

I keep losing my harness needles - especially the smaller gauge ones. How does everyone here store them? I'd like a method that is portable, as I carry a kit with me when I camp and ride.

Hi, Glue a thick piece of styrofoam to the inside of a lid to a small jar or prescription bottle (suggest plastic). Stick your needles in that. That way when you need to select one, you can take the lid off, set it on the table and easily pick the one(s) you want.

I've never seen tinned green chillis at the market, but I will check when I do the shopping next week. Come to think of it, I think I have a leftover jar from some capers I just finished a few days ago! It should graft nicely.

I've never seen tinned green chillis at the market, but I will check when I do the shopping next week. Come to think of it, I think I have a leftover jar from some capers I just finished a few days ago! It should graft nicely.

The green chili's are near the bottled Salsa. Ortega is the brand I see a lot in Idaho. You could also do that trick with a tuna can if you needed to. I've made oodles of pin cushions with clean tuna cans.

If you want something pretty small Viena Sausage cans are about the size he's talking about.

The green chili's are near the bottled Salsa. Ortega is the brand I see a lot in Idaho. You could also do that trick with a tuna can if you needed to. I've made oodles of pin cushions with clean tuna cans.

If you want something pretty small Viena Sausage cans are about the size he's talking about.

You would be exactly right, a vienna sausage can would be about the perfect size too!!!

Hi I use old Tobacco tins and have done so for some 50 years. The important thing to do when storing your Needles is to put a little Talcum Powder in the container to stop the Rust setting on the Needles. I have an Erinmore Pipe Tobacco Tin I have used all my life, it still has some of the #7 Needles from the late 50's along with others either loose or in the original pkts. Never had any problems with dropping as those old tins were made tough. Later I got some Soap Boxes for storing Awl Blades, added Talcum, again no problems.

With Needle Purses I've seen over the years the needles would eventually get rusty unless smeared with Vaseline and Talcum powder.

Hope this of help. Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Photo of green chili can needle caddy.

post-5340-053677600 1336912839_thumb.jpg

I have a 6"x6" piece of cloud crepe divided into 9 sections for different size needles. When you finish sewing, just stab them in and they're right there the next time you need them. Any shoe repair place will have some.

I used to use sheepskin, but once you get past 5 or 6 different types of needles, it takes too long to find what you're looking for.

Kevin