JAM

Techniques For Screwing A Concho In Straight

Hello, all,

Can anyone offer some advice or techniques for getting a concho screwed in straight and true on a horn cap? Or anywhere else on a saddle, for that matter? Mine always end up canted at a slight angle, and with a special horn cap concho that just isn't acceptable. So how do you guys do it so it looks perfect?

Julia

I pre drill the holes after I have made sure I have layed it out exactly where I want it. Start by center punching the leather to your layout marks down to the tree with a scratch awl. Straight/square as possible . Then drill a pilot hole with a small diameter bit. I put a nail in the hole after I drill the depth a little into the tree. Check with the nail in the hole to see that your hole is going as square/perpendicular (all the way around) every 1/4" of depth. Once I am satisfied that it is pre drilled perfect then I step up to bigger bits until the final size bit. Then I drill an oversized hole through the all of the leather to the tree so the screw post does not touch the leather at all. Finally if the concho sits a little high anywhere(usually very little, if at all) then I place a piece of scrap 13-15 oz.leather over the problem part of the concho and tap it down flat. Sometimes backing out the concho a little and tapping it behind the problem and screw it back in to meet it This is a time consuming process, I know but it works for me. By starting with a smaller bit and using a nail or screw to check for square/perpendicular you have the chance to ream the hole sides and change the angle of the bit to square it up before you are totally comitted. Take your time it is faster in the long run. Usually takes me a couple hours to install conchos, rosettes,clip n dees... It is also a good idea to make sure the screws on the conchos are square to the concho before installing them. Most need a little adjusting. I have a pair of pliers with tape "soft jaws" on them for holding the concho. I use needle nose to grab the whole lenghth of the crew to bend it square. I also have a small leather "speed square" I made for checking them.

Hope this helps.

Rufus

Oh, wow, Rufus, this helps a lot! I really appreciate your time to answer. Thank you!