Windrider30

First Truelly Self Designed Corset

Ok my wife and I have designed our very first corset, and this is a true one of a kind, we built this from the ground up. From concept, to pattern cutting out all the way til finished. Everything on this is hand done, no machinery was used what so ever. It's 6 to 7 oz veg tan leather all total about 10 hours of work, from starting out with duct tape..yep that's right we used duct tape in our design...to putting it all together. Only thing I have to really learn to do a little better is where to put the rivets at.

post-54720-0-94136900-1436300637_thumb.j

post-54720-0-68253200-1436300647_thumb.j

post-54720-0-94299400-1436300700_thumb.j

post-54720-0-37346500-1436300710_thumb.j

looks good overall. there does appear to be some areas that are not form fitted very well. You'll get better as you learn tricks here and there. You can wet form it to the body before you stamp tool and dye your project.<br /><br />Squirrell

I thought of doing a wet form fitting but I have a feeling it will not let the leather mold itself to a person's body that well, not to mention screw up the sewing dummy I have. As for a few spots that seem not to fit very well I think that might be because of a few rivets either spaced out wrong or maybe not enough rivets.

wet forming to the body is not a problem. If I'm doing custom fit female armor I use a thermo-plastic called worbla's and build a smooth armor bust like a lot of cosplayer's do. you make a plastic form fitting corset..so to speak .. that can be worn or stuffed like a duct tape dummy. then with the person wearing it or on duct tape dummy you can wet form your leather to an exact fit. The riveting is good, playing with the spacing will work out some of the ill fitting spots. I also like to stitch with my riveting.(personal preference)

It all looks very well.

Squirrelly

Very good effort, particularly as you had no pattern to work from. I checked out eBay Australia, and a used, adjustable dressmakers model can be sourced for around A$50. Your design would be really professional if you were to use this to wet form the leather. Keep the rivets for decoration, but the wearer would be more comfortable if the seams were sewn. Love the use of those bag latches on the front! Has your wife tried sitting in this corset? You may need to shorten the "tails " at the back.

Show us more of your work soon.

Cheers, Lois

Yeah the tails in the back might need to be cut but they are flexable enough, and no my wife can not fit into the corset she is a big girl, will have to find someone to try it on. Was not truly sure about the tails on the back but I like the way it came out. Thanks for the ideas and compliments all

Ok been thinking about this wet molding the leather. For armor I can see the point in that, after all it is not going to be used in real combat so you want the person to be comfy in it, but would a wet molded leather actually hold up to the stress of the tight lacing? The rivets give the corset support as you tug and pull on the laces, over time yes leather will stretch but wouldn't the wet molded leather not hold up to the added stress of say a 4 or 5 hour tight lacing every day?

wet molded leather also hardens it, to a degree. If you wet mold it with hot tap water it will harden it a little more.I have used wet molded leather in combat metal weapons, has held fine.

I can see the point in using it in combat metal weapons and as I said armour but the reality is that it will not be stressed and unstressed on a daily baises where as a corset can have some serious pressure put it on it (its why I am using kangaroo for the lacing!) I just do not think wet molding is the best way to go for a corset..could be wrong though. Also love the fact that you can wet mold over combat metal where were you when I was doing refairs lol my axes could have used some serious leather work on them!