Sign in to follow this  
triage1998

Edge Beveler Question

I picked up craftool edge beveler #2,3 and 4 for holster making. Is it me or are the craftool edge bevelers of real poor quality? I tried sharpening them and stropping them and feel I can't get a nice edge on them.

I don't know If I am not sharpening them right or if they are just poor quality and I should look elsewhere and spend the cash on a nice one.

Any recommendations on what brand edge beveler and size for holster, belt and mag pouch making?

I have two of the Weaver Master Series ones and they are great. I have #1 and #2 and use the #2 most often but am probably going to add a #3 very soon for edges of four layered holsters.

I sold my Weaver master edgers, had to sharpen them every few times I used them. I recently ordered some Dixon edgers that I really like. Stropped them a little when I first got them, cut like butter ever since.

I sold my Weaver master edgers, had to sharpen them every few times I used them. I recently ordered some Dixon edgers that I really like. Stropped them a little when I first got them, cut like butter ever since.

I've been using mine as purchased for nearly a year and haven't done anything more than strop them maybe a half dozen times. I don't know how they could cut any better.

I must have got a bad batch from weaver. Mine just kinda chewed leather when I got them.

May I ask where you purchased them? I use the Tandy Keen Edge beveler in size 4 and have to buy a new one every month or so. I've been looking for a better one myself. Thanks!

May I ask where you purchased them? I use the Tandy Keen Edge beveler in size 4 and have to buy a new one every month or so. I've been looking for a better one myself. Thanks!

I got them straight from Dixon. http://www.josephdixon.co.uk They call them edge shaves. You have to look through the saddlers tools pages to find them.

Ron's Tools round edge edgers changed my life.

http://www.ronstools.com/

The Dixon and Ron's tools look nice.

I think I am going to run down to Weaver in the next 2 weeks and check out there weaver master series tools and the Horse Shoe brand tools . I need to pick up some leather so i might as well get some tools why I am there.

Shooter you are more than welcome to come along if you like.

Edited by triage1998

Not sure what their weekend schedule is. Im game to take a day off work if needed. But only if we stop at Mrs. Yoders on the way back :)

You need a tax ID to set up an account with them. Shoot me a text and let me know whats up.

I have the same Tandy edgers you do. I sharpen them and use them very slowly. Then you might be good. Or go to Ron's tools buy a #3 round edge beveler and be happy forever. Expensive, yes, quality oustanding, work, everytime. Finished edge perfect. My buck and a half

Ditto with me on the Keen Edgers. I actually sharpen them now and again with a strop and they work fantastic...

Not sure what their weekend schedule is. Im game to take a day off work if needed. But only if we stop at Mrs. Yoders on the way back :)

You need a tax ID to set up an account with them. Shoot me a text and let me know whats up.

I have my tax ID sent in and received a catalog from Weaver this last week.

I will text you and see when we can make it out there.

Just a suggestion for you guys going to Weaver's. No matter what edge bevelers you buy they all need to be sharpened properly. Weaver's sells a edge beveler sharpener and strop for about $15 the grit and rouge will cost a few more bucks but you will never regret the purchase. I use both Tandy keen edge and Weaver's master bevelers and they all work great properly sharpened. Their sharpener makes this a piece of cake. I strop my bevelers before each use and they just glide through the leather.

Just a suggestion for you guys going to Weaver's. No matter what edge bevelers you buy they all need to be sharpened properly. Weaver's sells a edge beveler sharpener and strop for about $15 the grit and rouge will cost a few more bucks but you will never regret the purchase. I use both Tandy keen edge and Weaver's master bevelers and they all work great properly sharpened. Their sharpener makes this a piece of cake. I strop my bevelers before each use and they just glide through the leather.

Thats a good idea. Strop is on my list. Thanks!

Quite right. No cutting tool works unless it's properly sharpened, and the weaver tool works well for the round edgers. I've got tandy and osborne and they both work just fine when properly sharpened.

tk