Sign in to follow this  
Regg

what to charge?

Ok, I just finished work on a saddle, thanks for your help in an earlier question. My question now is what to charge?

I replaced two stirrup straps 21/2 inch wide, made two new fenders, replaces all hardware, cleaned and reconditioned the saddle and touched up some worn stitching. I was thinking of charging $450.00-$500.00. Is this in the ball park, I want to be fair but do not want to be ripped off. I do not know af any saddle or tach shops in my area, and have been getting some inquires into saddle repair, this was my fist one, As soon as I can I will post some pics. Any help appreciated.

REG :head_hurts_kr: :biggrin:

Hi Regg,

What was, and now is the saddle worth? Next, how much in time and materials have you got in it?

Art

REGG, DEPENDING ON THE TOOLING OF THE FENDERS THAT YOU DO

$350.00 PLUS. I THINK WOULD BE A FAIR PRICE. I M H O .

AGAIN AS ART SAID, WHAT IS THE SADDLE WORTH.

Too often we say, "Hmmm... I've got $100 in materials, and 8 hours of time (8X$25) so the repair is going to be $300- oh, wait, that's all the saddle is worth. Guess I'll drop my price to $150."

I have never heard the plumber or the electrician determine the value of my house when he configures his bill. I don't get any discounts if the work is in the barn, not the house. It would be cool to get a break for the older cars we drive, too, but it doesn't happen.

Prices should be agreed on, preferably in writing, before any work is done. It's okay to say, "It will cost $300, and if it goes over because I find more that needs fixed while I have it apart, I will call you." If he doesn't like the repairs you made, will you owe him the price of the saddle? If the saddle had taken twice as much time, would he be willing to pay for it? These things need to be worked out ahead of time to save the leatherworker from going broke accepting jobs.

Johanna

When I price my repair work the value of the saddle has nothing to do with the price. I always pre-quote so the customer has no surprises. What I am pricing for the customer is my labour plus material , plus profit. Materials are always Plus 30 percent for waste plus 30 percent for markup. My shop labour rate which is $50.00 per hour covers my shop expenses and my wages. I don't usually break the quote down.

If a customer chooses to put a $500.00 repair in a $400.00 saddle ( all though I will try and dissuade him) that is there business.

Andy

Edited by AndyKnight

I'm with Andy on the "try to disuade them from spending $500 on a $400 saddle. I'll always make the customer aware of the cost of new saddle which is similar and the value of their own saddle, so that they don't get the surprise afterwoods that they have spent more than the saddle is worth.

I also have to put my weight behind Johanna's comments about the value your own time and materials are independent of the value of the repair you are working on.

Another point to consider is this: If were to buy all the components to build a motor car, that is, purchase them all as spare parts. the cost would be something like 4 times the cost of just buying a new car off of the shop floor. But you try to complain to the spareparts shop about that!! Meanwhile, the way most saddlers price their repairs, it would work out cheaper than buying a new saddle if you asked them to; replace the tree, the seat, the ground seat, the swell cover, the horn cover,.....etc etc. on this old heap of junk, oh and while you are at it you might as well use a good quality tree and leather etc etc.

Add up the cost of replacing every thing and it should be a lot more than the price of a new saddle!!

that's my two cents worth, any comments welcome please

regards

dam

(he who dies with the most tools wins!!!)

I charge shop rate plus materials for odd jobs, which includes a mis. 5% fee. The problem I have with shop rate plus materials is you must itemize everything. People automatically want to start questioning cost, nickel and diming you. The best thing I ever did as it relates to repairs is make a price list of every thing from installing new latigos to putting in a new tree. They are posted on my web site, as well as in my shop. The prices are very generalized as every saddle is different. I try not to under cut any of the other saddlemakers in a 100 mile radius. I talk often to a few of them to calibrate prices. Most of you are probably ahead of me on this, but it aleiviated a lot of potential problems. First off people can decide for themselves before they stop buy my place what they can afford. So, usually when we start discussing repairs we are already on the same page. That saves me a lot of time. Secondly, new customers know as soon as I give them a price list what they are in for, and I'm not just pulling numbers out of the air. If they are not scared off by the cost, there is usually a certain amount of trust established from the begining. Thirdly, it really helped me streamline my own time when it comes to doing a repair job. I don't have a lot of time repairs these days, but all in all having a price list for repairs seem to make things flow more smoothly.

Ryan Cope

Doto,

I had a hard time at first setting repair rates, I found an old Capriola rate list and adjusted it for the day. Then once I started doing more repairs, it didn't take long make any adjustments.

If I felt something wasn't worth it I would explain why.

Some jobs get done for sentimental reasons,I tell them anything done will be cosmetic and not intended for use. Nowadays we probably need disclaimers and release forms for such jobs.

For stirrup leather replacement rates for example, if I order a set v.s. if I cut a set.I may adjust the rate (try to cut my own though it's more labour I control the quality) Either way I still clean them up and edge and burnish, and will add $ if I match color.

Anyway, I agree that the value of the saddle being repaired has no baring on what it costs to repair it. Besides, it should be worth more when I'm done with it.

If someone is having you fix it up to re-sell it, it still costs what it costs to fix it up, but the question is will the owner be able to get your repair cost and their cost out of the saddle when it's ready to sell?

Ryan's suggestions have worked for me and makes things simple. Good Luck. G, Hackett