Rawhide

A Peter Main Original

Peter Main instructed his method of Applique Embossing this weekend in Ft. Worth. Here is the item he created (and I've added to my collection by the way). Then my wife's version. and lastly mine.

Marlon

Buffalo_Peter.jpg

Buffalo_Kim.jpg

Buffalo_Marlon.jpg

post-3307-1207595470_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1207595636_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1207595670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rawhide

Very nice Marlon, was it you first try at this kind of carving? Don

Yes it was. I'm pretty proud of myself.

M.

Very Nice Job! I'd be proud of that, also. What tools did you use for the buffalo and the grass?

Crystal

Nice job Marlon, Your wife's version? Did she take the class also?

Very Nice Job! I'd be proud of that, also. What tools did you use for the buffalo and the grass? Crystal

Thank you. Tools used were modeling tool, A modified F902 for the grass, beard, and leg hair. a hair blade, swivel knife, #3 scalpel with #11 blades, and a stitching awl. That's about it for the buffalo and grass. other than glue, thread and dye.

Nice job Marlon, Your wife's version? Did she take the class also?
Thanks, yes she did.

Marlon

Edited by Rawhide

So Marlon are you sharing your tools or is she hooked enough that you have had to buy her her very own tools yet? Was this her first piece?

wow, excellent work from you and your wife

So Marlon are you sharing your tools or is she hooked enough that you have had to buy her her very own tools yet? Was this her first piece?
Ann I think she's right on the fence of having her own tools. We've been sharing so far, but at Peter's class, he brought some awls he made up and I wanted one, guess who else wanted one? So now we have two of Peter's awls. This isn't her first piece, but it is her first embossing. I'm really proud of what she can do. I think she likes dying better than anything.Marlon
wow, excellent work from you and your wife
Thanks Roo. Did you get to see Peter in Austrailia a couple of weeks ago? I think he said he'll be back there in another week or so.M.

L_E_H_055.jpgRAWHIDE you and your wife did well, love thoes Buffaloes.....

( peta folks Need not reply).1500 lbs -1 1/2 yrs old.Taken at Wallace Kansas.

post-1906-1207601950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley

Marlon, i missed him on his last visit, but he did bring me some tools and books which he posted from sydney. i am having trouble finding where and when he will be here...do you have dates?

Marlon, Very impressive from both of you. The dying is beautiful as well. Very nice.

John

Luke just have to say that rifle is gorgeous. Impressive kill with a flintlock.

Marlon, beautiful work by both you and your wife. And the addition to your collection is very nice as well.

Talent runs in your family.

Ken

Your wife too!!! Man, I don't know if you're in trouble or just plain lucky, lol.

Beautiful stuff from all of you.

Tom

Very nice work Marlon and Anne! I haven't tried any embossing since I half embossed a dog portrait a while back, but I think this may be enough to inspire me to pick it back up.

Go ahead and invest in some tools for her. Worst case scenario is you end up with some spares. Best case scenario is that you partner up on some projects and turn out some masterpieces. Can't you hear the conversation at the dinner table? " pass the oil dye please...."

Mike

Marlon, i missed him on his last visit, but he did bring me some tools and books which he posted from sydney. i am having trouble finding where and when he will be here...do you have dates?

Roo,

I don't have any dates, but I think he told me he would be there for about three weeks. I think he has to pack up the studio he has there.

To all: Thanks for the comments. I can really see my work improving. (practice practice practice, right???)

M.

Looks super! Which one was Peter's again?

Yeah, really! I could not tell the difference until I enlarged them, and I gotta say - that's a pretty terrific job! You guys have real talent, and this Peter Main guy must be some kind of teacher! ;)

Beautiful pieces Marlon, all three of them. And to be able to add one of Peter's to your collection must have been a thrill.

Beautiful pieces Marlon, all three of them. And to be able to add one of Peter's to your collection must have been a thrill.

Absolutely!

He's one of the best and it's a pleasure to learn from him. Plus he'll tell you anything he knows. I probably asked 20 questions that had nothing to do with embossing and he would answer them with no hesitation. I have run across people that don't like to tell you their "secrets".

Peter also showed some generosity to a leatherworker that came to the store. He was a pretty good lw from what I could see, but he couldn't! He was blind. Yes blind. His wife would do the carving, and he would do the cutting, assembly, etc... We couldn't believe it, and were all amazed. Peter gave the couple his newest book. I thought that was very nice of him. They didn't know who he was, but were touched by his gift.

Also, we got a visit from George Hurst. He came in after lunch time, and sat next to me and just observed for a while. This is another gentleman with an unbelievable amount of leather knowledge and carving ability. He can carve flowers with no tracings what so ever. We had a great time.

Marlon

Absolutely!

He's one of the best and it's a pleasure to learn from him. Plus he'll tell you anything he knows. I probably asked 20 questions that had nothing to do with embossing and he would answer them with no hesitation. I have run across people that don't like to tell you their "secrets".

Peter also showed some generosity to a leatherworker that came to the store. He was a pretty good lw from what I could see, but he couldn't! He was blind. Yes blind. His wife would do the carving, and he would do the cutting, assembly, etc... We couldn't believe it, and were all amazed. Peter gave the couple his newest book. I thought that was very nice of him. They didn't know who he was, but were touched by his gift.

Also, we got a visit from George Hurst. He came in after lunch time, and sat next to me and just observed for a while. This is another gentleman with an unbelievable amount of leather knowledge and carving ability. He can carve flowers with no tracings what so ever. We had a great time.

Marlon

Marlon: nice work, both by you & your wife!

You guys are so lucky to be in the heart of it all as far as being able to take these classes & meet with these 'masters' of the art. :notworthy:

russ

Thanks Russ,

I do feel pretty fortunate to be around a wealth of knowledge, but then again that's why we have this place.

M.

Great work Marlon and wife:-)

I agree, you're a lucky one living there close to all the classes and such *sigh* :-)

So now I will repeat everything everyone said. WOW!!! GREAT LOOKING PIECE. Very classy. I shall try this soon. I have had it on the brain.

So now I will repeat everything everyone said. WOW!!! GREAT LOOKING PIECE. Very classy. I shall try this soon. I have had it on the brain.

Thanks Spider,

You should give it a shot. Most of what Peter teaches is in Al Stohlmans book on embossing, but he simplifies a lot of it so it's not very difficult.

Marlon