sandycreek

Leather tools.... at Harbor Freight???

Hey everyone,

I was browsing the Harbor Freight website looking for something and stumbled across these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=98051

Just out of dread curiousity, don't those look a WHOLE lot like Craftool factory seconds? :blink:

-Aaron

Dam it, I was just over their last week but didn't notice them. Guess i'll be going back. Thanks

Dam it, I was just over their last week but didn't notice them. Guess i'll be going back. Thanks

CRAP! I was just there YESTERDAY buying a new airbrush! (Look Here)

Next trip....

I HAVE SEEN THESE IN THE HARBOR FREIGHT STORE WHERE I LIVE AND I DON'T BELIEVE THEY ARE CRAFTOOL. IN FACT THEY LOOK LIKE VERY LOW QUALITY TOOLS.

I bought a set of them. They definitely need sharpening but that's not new. Haven't done that yet so I can't tell you if they will take an edge.

SkipJ

I HAVE SEEN THESE IN THE HARBOR FREIGHT STORE WHERE I LIVE AND I DON'T BELIEVE THEY ARE CRAFTOOL. IN FACT THEY LOOK LIKE VERY LOW QUALITY TOOLS.

Just like everything else in their stores.

you got that right.

Next trip....

Troy...

Believe it or not that little HF airbrush works quite well!! I am pretty happy with it.

:specool:

Troy...

Believe it or not that little HF airbrush works quite well!! I am pretty happy with it.

:specool:

I've actually taken to this airbrush for simple things like dye and Duracoat. It works surprisingly well.

Just out of dread curiousity, don't those look a WHOLE lot like Craftool factory seconds? :blink:

-Aaron

I got suckered into a set and they are junk.

Next trip....

I picked that guy up also, couldnt resist for the price.

Yes alot of there stuff is crap, HOWEVER there are things that they sell that are very good for the price. Think of stuff like polishing rouge that you use for your strop, if your know your gonna be needing a 2" socket for one 5 minute job well..., there are alot of things that if your gonna use it a few times the entire life of the tool that actually make sense to buy from them if your on a budget. The full size adjustable motorcycle stand is actually pretty darn nice and about the only place around youll find one like it that is a ride on stand without going into specialty places.

Im not saying they are the best thing in the world obviously but certain things are nice to pick up there ecspecially when they have a sale going on.

And I was just at their store in Salina, KS and picked up one of these. I did see the edger/groover tool assortment. The Tandy ones are somewhat better quality, but they looked like they would do the job.

Those airbrushes they sell are great for people who just want to give it a try to see how it works out, and even if you upgrade later, the low-end tools are still useful for some jobs.

Kate

And I was just at their store in Salina, KS and picked up one of these. I did see the edger/groover tool assortment. The Tandy ones are somewhat better quality, but they looked like they would do the job.

Those airbrushes they sell are great for people who just want to give it a try to see how it works out, and even if you upgrade later, the low-end tools are still useful for some jobs.

Kate

I could never bring myself to buy the leather tools from them. I just wasn't willing to go THAT far. But these airbrush tools for simple tasks like I have are good. I haven't trie that eraser but it has caught my eye. I have some spray guns for sandblasting that I am eager to try. I may just pick one of those up!

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Don't bother buying the tools. I was suckered into getting them and it was a waste of money.

Dan

I could never bring myself to buy the leather tools from them. I just wasn't willing to go THAT far. But these airbrush tools for simple tasks like I have are good. I haven't trie that eraser but it has caught my eye. I have some spray guns for sandblasting that I am eager to try. I may just pick one of those up!

Kate, what does the air eraser use as an abrasive?

SkipJ

It comes packaged with an aluminum oxide compound, which is a fast-cutting abrasive. I've found a few places to get more of the stuff. They simply label them as "slow", "medium" or "fast" cut abrasives, but don't specify the exact compound that is used for each.

Kate

I've been thinking one of these could be set up to take setting dies... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=3552

Edited by MBOGO

It comes packaged with an aluminum oxide compound, which is a fast-cutting abrasive. I've found a few places to get more of the stuff. They simply label them as "slow", "medium" or "fast" cut abrasives, but don't specify the exact compound that is used for each.

Kate

The aluminum oxide might be worth more than the airgun depending upon how much they include. Weaver sells it for their strop board... 6 oz. for $11.

Bree,

I think this is more the alum oxide you are looking for http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGPTLMXI?PAMO...ING%20COMPOUNDS . The media Kate is referencing is for sandblasting, and resurfacing eg. removal of rust. For the compounds for stropping, some sort of tool and die tool supply would be a better bet, the production tool site I referenced above has some tools that are sold at leather supply stores at savings of sometimes 50%. http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGPTSRIM?PMIT...PARTPG=CGPTHOME . The hard part is trying not to spend more time saving tool money, than using tools.....

I bought a magnification visor @ harbor freight w/light and comes with a container of 4 diff power lens 9.99 very nice for the money.

The media Kate is referencing is for sandblasting, and resurfacing eg. removal of rust.

That's right, only this stuff is a much finer grit than the stuff you use in a regular sand blaster. It is referred to as "air eraser compound".

One of the first things I did after I bought the tool was to go online and find out where I could get more of the compound (powder) that is made to be used with this tool. Unfortunately, HF doesn't seem to carry it separately. But I was happy to know it can be purchased in 6oz or 5lb containers at Dixie Art, which is where I also buy my airbrush parts and supplies. You can probably also get it just about any place that sells airbrush stuff.

Kate

The one that's listed on ebay, I purchased for the set price, didn't know better. I later located a harbor freight tools location near my house and found that the one from HF is the same that as the one from ebay, only it cost $50 dollars. The only modification was the steel plate at the bottom where the arm pushes down against. In my opinion, the extra money was not justified, cause I could've made the plate myself. At the time, I didn't know any better. Don't wast your money.

Daniel