MagiKelly

Celtic knotwork journal

First off Hi. I just registered today and will be looking round to start all your good ideas so thought I should at least start by showing something of mine. First off I am very new to this and really just learning.

The main things I have made to date are journal covers. I posted a tutorial on how I make these on my own forum (for canoeists) and it is here

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5847

Since then I have improved a little and I now dye the inside leather as well as the pen holder. I do the stitching in full unsplit artificial sinew and have started doing some embossing / carving.

Here is my first Celtic knotwork one. I found just the thing for designing Celtic knots here

http://www.clanbadge.com/ details of how it works is here http://www.clanbadge.com/how.htm

I got the truetype font for making up these patterns and did a few tests on coasters. Happy with the results it was time to do a full journal cover. Here is the result. it is hand stitched with artificial sinew and made pretty much as the tutorial. the embossing is designed using the font I mentioned above

So here are the pictures

journal2_1.jpg

journal2_2.jpg

journal2_3.jpg

journal2_4.jpg

journal2_5.jpg

A friend really liked this so I made one for his birthday. Problem was he could not decide if he wanted the Celtic knotwork or a Ying and Yang, so we compromised ;)

journal3_1.jpg

journal3_2.jpg

journal3_3.jpg

Edited by MagiKelly

I just got done reading your tutorial on the other forum. Thanks for posting that! I really like the design of your journal covers. The pen holder is a nice touch along with a very classy looking snap closure. I think I'm going to make one of these for my own personal use based on your design if you don't mind? Nice work on this too! I really like this.

I think you'll find these get a lot more refined as you make more of them. My one bit of advice would be to use some sort of guide to cut your round parts with, like the curves on the snap tabs. Also, I would round your corners of the cover first and then groove in your stitching guides. This way your stitching matches the profile of the cover. Or just keep it squared off. Little details like that will make a big difference.

Cheers,

Andy

Very nice looking journals.

I too like the closure. It is very classy.

Allen

Nice job, I like them both. Thanks for taking the time and posting the tutorial.

That is some BEAUTIFUL knotwork. I love the knot font myself.

Very nice and the way you make a place for a pen is genius!! You have given me a start for a couple of new ideas!

Thank you

I think I'm going to make one of these for my own personal use based on your design if you don't mind?

I would be flattered. I did post it to share and am happy for anyone to use the design.

Very nice and the way you make a place for a pen is genius!!

Thank you. It was almost an accident. I was trying to think of a way of making a closure that would stop the corners from bending out. I have found books with a middle closure can suffer a bit from this. The logical solution was two closures one near each corner. Once I got this far the idea of joining them came and from their it seemed obvious to put a pen holder there.

I have thought about forming the closure from the same piece of leather as the cover to save having to stitch it to the back but I have doubts about how well this would work. Still probably worth trying at some point.

Y'know, almost every time I read a post on this forum I learn something new. I have been dealing with Le Prevo for years and didn't know they did those plates. Brilliant and just what I need for a new job. Thanks for the info.

I read the tutorial with interest and you are quite right, if you don't know what the rules are you can't possibly break them. The work you turned out does exactly what you want it to and looks good into the bargain. Your techniques are a tad original but they work and I had never thought of using an instant clamp like that either.

All in all, a fascinating post. Keep 'em coming and next time you are any where near Shropshire let me know and I'll gladly buy you a beer and we can discuss canoes!

Ray

all i can say is WOW!

:jawdropper:

i think this is the nicest journal i have seen. i especially like the dual straps and how you stitched them together...

im currently drawing mockups for a journal cover that flips on the top instead of the sides...

very inspirational... thanks.

any pics of the inside of the jounal?

Sure. Here you go.

very well done!:notworthy:

i really like where you mounted your pen.

wish i could get my stitching that straight.