Sign in to follow this  
Hector

Nappa Leather

Hi All,

I've been trying to sew some nappa leather on an old Singer 29K. This machine is new to me as I've always hand-stitched, but so far has been fine for sewing up any veg tan. The problem that I'm having with the nappa is that it keeps gathering up behind the foot as I'm sewing. I can easily un-gather it after, but the seams just don't feel right. I have noticed that it gathers more and at a faster pace when stitching through one layer, than it does two. I'm using a 110/18 needle and bonded nylon thread -40 I think. Am I completely wasting my time, or does anyone have any ideas?

I thought about a smaller needle, but was told that 110/18 is the smallest that the machine (boot patcher) would take. The thread is also driving me nuts as it doesn't 'ease' off the spool, but keeps getting twisted or stuck on the spool base, so I usually have to unwind loads of it before I start stitching and hope no-one trips over it :-)

Any help would be good

Hector