Hello, I'm Gary.

I live in the extreme northwest corner of Montana.

I've attached some pictures of what got me into leatherworking: my first holster

I have caught the bug now.

I got a shoulder holster that was formed plastic, and I did not like it.

I had a piece of scrap leather that had been kicked around for about 14 years, I decided to change out the plastic with leather.

I had a Meyer's speedy stitcher (I found that's what it's called by going to this site)

I laid out a pattern by tracing my gun, put together what I thought would be functional, and sewed it up.

It wasn't until I found this forum that I learned things like "wet forming", "burnishing", "boning", "casing".

You guys talk in a completely different language - and I'm in the process of learning that now!

As my grandad would have said, "I am teachable."

Can this holster and mag carrier be changed from just being functional to a really good looking holster,

or do I just keep it as a reminder of my humorous "first attempt."

Glad I found you guys.

post-20477-088409500 1300464596_thumb.jp

post-20477-087276500 1300464618_thumb.jp

post-20477-062873800 1300464640_thumb.jp

post-20477-025229100 1300464663_thumb.jp

I think you're being to hard on yourself, for a first project there is absolutely nothing wrong with your work. Keep in mind that all the little details that make others work so impressive took time to learn, practice, and perfect. I don't think any of us reaches a point where we feel like we're there, like we've achieved all of our goals. I think that we continually try to find ways to improve our work on every single project we do. It just takes time and patience. There are some things that you could do to it like burnish the edges, but it's really hard to do any tooling to a finished item because it's hard to support he workpiece from behind while you're trying to do the tooling. The only thing I would do to it would just be work on the edges, which just gives it that finished look. But as for the work itself you should be proud of it, it looks a LOT better than any of my early projects.

Chris

I think you're being to hard on yourself, for a first project there is absolutely nothing wrong with your work. Keep in mind that all the little details that make others work so impressive took time to learn, practice, and perfect. I don't think any of us reaches a point where we feel like we're there, like we've achieved all of our goals. I think that we continually try to find ways to improve our work on every single project we do. It just takes time and patience. There are some things that you could do to it like burnish the edges, but it's really hard to do any tooling to a finished item because it's hard to support he workpiece from behind while you're trying to do the tooling. The only thing I would do to it would just be work on the edges, which just gives it that finished look. But as for the work itself you should be proud of it, it looks a LOT better than any of my early projects.

Chris

I agree with Chris, work on the edges and wear it with pride!!!!

So......for your very FIRST holster project, you went out and did a SHOULDER holster, AND a mag pouch for it?

You don't even know how to SPELL the word "can't", do you?

LoL

Looks GREAT for a first holster. Even a 5th or 6th.

if you know the area I am up the Pipe north of libby. where are you in this world.

GaryCs

Hey Gary - I'm in Eureka, not too far from you - should get together sometime and shoot the breeze on this leather stuff.

Hey Gary - I'm in Eureka, not too far from you - should get together sometime and shoot the breeze on this leather stuff.

It's a small world, after all, ain't it? The weather's not too good right now, but I think it'd be fun later on this spring!

By that time I ought to know a little bit more about this leather stuff!

Right now all I can tell you is a lot of it comes off a cow and other 4 legged critters!

Oops, that's not entirely true is it. You've got the snakes, gators, fish, ostrich.

I guess you could say leather abounds in this world.

Good reason to learn how to work with leather, huh?

Of all the products I've used to make things over the years I have to say that I like leather the best. Although you can make some neat things out of wood and metal the ability to make personally usable items such as your holster, by the way - Good Job! - is what I like the best.

We'll try and keep in touch through the site here and visit after the thaw!

very nice work probably made it in two hours, i think that you can dampen the holster and bone in the lines of your pistol

Edited by jaygus

I'm always trying to find different ways to improve my leather work. Some things work, some not so much.

Personally, I like to leave my old stuff as is and try to improve my next attempt.

That looks like a good, sturdy usable shoulder holster.

I'm embarrassed to show my first attempt at a shoulder holster. It wasn't anywhere near as nice as yours.

Aside from the comments above, why not wet it and bone it (after wrapping your gun in plastic wrap) and then work the edges for a nicer finish.

I would then consider how well the mags are held. Mine are secured by a strap with a snap for greater security. You may have the tension set perfectly, but leather changes over time. You want those magazines there when you need them.

You might look at bolstering your thumb break with a metal stiffener. (Look at images of Galco rigs for illustrations. They just have better images on the internet than most others.)

My thinking might be considered odd for some gun guys, but I carry 1 mag and 1 flashlight in my pouches so my top pouch would have a slightly different shape. (Never needed the spare mags, but the light has been of great value in bad times.)

RT