tackgirl956

Would This Machine Be Overkill?

Advice please, would this machine be overkill for sewing leather handbags, wallets and hopefully horse halters later on? Adler 168-RE72 Post Bed Walking Foot

I was thinking seriously about purchasing a Consew, Chandler or Tacsew, but after reading the recommended use of the Adler compared to the other machines not sure they would be that good for heavy leather projects?

Most of the machines above with the exception of the Adler, have a stich speed of 2500 or more, seems to fast for any real leather sewing, even with a servo motor?

Techsew sounds and looks good but unfortunately out of my meger business start up price. :(

Also is an alternating walking foot the same as a compound walking foot?

The Adler is used and seems a good deal at $650 + S&H but not sure I'm up for a used machine and someone else's problem?

Edited by tackgirl956

Im by no means an expert, but Ive been using a machine for a couple years now. I dont think it would be overkill. For halters you will want a heavy post type machine. I kinda think its better to have a larger machine that I need, than a smaller one that I cant use. I sew everything on my toro 3000, bridles, halters. chaps, wallets. knife sheaths, breast collars, etc etc. The main concern would be if this machine can use the proper needle and thread size for your lighter materials. Can you find parts and someone to service it easily? As far as the stitch speed, the servos will slow them down to a crawl .

That Adler should serve you well for work not exceeding 3/8 inch thick, using thread sizes up to #138/138, or 207/138. Make sure you get fairly narrow presser feet, with a left toe only being the preferred configuration. You will benefit from a roller edge guide and a servo motor.

You absolutely don't want the machine setup to sew at 2500 RPM! Ask if the seller can change the motor pulley to a 2" pulley and a new matching v-belt. Get needles in all available sizes, in the system number used by that Adler.

I don't think that that machine is available anymore since I just purchased the (I believe) last one. :P

I'm pretty much going to set it up as Wiz suggested and hopefully it will work well.

Andrew