Sign in to follow this  
Craftystitcher

Help With Hand Sewing

Hello all! I've searched around but couldn't find another post that helped out. I've just started hand sewing my first bag. I'm afraid my thread won't last to the end of the piece and am looking for pointers on how to start a new thread. I've seen some videos on how to back stitch and melt down your thread at the end of a project- would I do something similar to that and start a new thread in the next hole? I'm doing a simple over stitch similar to this post:

http://leatherworker...ad&fromsearch=1

I couldn't tell you what type of thread I'm using- A woman I work with got me started with some of her supplies but she's on medical leave so I can't ask her for help!

Thank you!

Hello all! I've searched around but couldn't find another post that helped out. I've just started hand sewing my first bag. I'm afraid my thread won't last to the end of the piece and am looking for pointers on how to start a new thread. I've seen some videos on how to back stitch and melt down your thread at the end of a project- would I do something similar to that and start a new thread in the next hole? I'm doing a simple over stitch similar to this post:

http://leatherworker...ad&fromsearch=1

I couldn't tell you what type of thread I'm using- A woman I work with got me started with some of her supplies but she's on medical leave so I can't ask her for help!

Thank you!

It looks, from the example post, that you are trying to do the saddle stitch. Are you using 2 needles?

It looks, from the example post, that you are trying to do the saddle stitch. Are you using 2 needles?

Yes- the left needle going behind the right, left thread pulled down right thread pulled up if that makes sense :)

Yes- the left needle going behind the right, left thread pulled down right thread pulled up if that makes sense :)

Ok you are doing saddle stitching.

Here's a helpful video. Do a couple stitches this way and pull it tight and trim close.

Then go back 2 or 3 stitches and put your new thread in and continue stitching over the top of these 3 knotted stitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdVHnIcIcNY&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I'm sure there is more than one way to do this. I tend to fish the ends up in between the two layers after one or 2 knot stitches and clip them close to the edge.

there are lots of videos on youtube for leather craft and saddle stitching.

Thank you! Now I can continue working on it!

You are welcome... be sure to show us your project. :)