Sign in to follow this  
AndersenLeather

How To Make A Handle Like This

Hi,

I am in the process of making a briefcase and need to make a handle. I have found a type that I would like to make but I’m not quite sure how to construct it.

This is the type of handle I would like to make:

leather-luggage_attache_small-norfolk-mt

What I can’t figure out is how to make it seamlessly end.

Before I found good pictures of the handle I made this handle just to see if it worked at all. As you can see there is a rather large gap where the two ends meet.

post-23717-0-40478300-1399147554_thumb.j

My handle is made with a single layer whereas the other handle is made with two layers. I cant see if it is one long piece of leather that is wrapped around two times or it is two pieces wrapped around one time each. Even with this figured out I'm still not completely sure how to make a seamless joint. You could off course skive the ends so that they overlap each other and the make sure that this joint is not in the middle of the handle but off to the end.

If you look at this handle it looks as if it is two pieces of leather. The inner is thick and the outer is thin making it easier to skive the ending to be almost seamless.

leather-attache_07.jpg

Have any of you tried to make a similar handle our do you have an idea how to do it?

The pictures I found on this page:

http://bentleyslondon.com/shop/vintage-luggage/

Edited by jonasbo

Last picture on the right side of the handle you can see where it overlaps. You could consider not creating a seamless handle and it could turn out just as good.

There are two ways you can do it.

when you make the pattern allow extra length so the bottom two leather straps overlap.

from there you can-

skive the top of one strap and the bottom of the other strap so the thickness of the overlapping area is consistent.

or

where they overlap cut straight down from the middle.

Never done it before but that is how I would do it. It should be thin at the edges.

Recommend you download "The Art of Making Leather Cases" Vol 2 by Al Stohlman. There are full instructions for several handles like you want to make.

Tom

I do have a copy and the handle I wish to make is not a part of the book. Precisely which handle are you referring to?

Last picture on the right side of the handle you can see where it overlaps. You could consider not creating a seamless handle and it could turn out just as good.

There are two ways you can do it.

when you make the pattern allow extra length so the bottom two leather straps overlap.

from there you can-

skive the top of one strap and the bottom of the other strap so the thickness of the overlapping area is consistent.

or

where they overlap cut straight down from the middle.

Never done it before but that is how I would do it. It should be thin at the edges.

Yes I think that skiving the ends would do the trick. I still however would like to figure out how the handles on the pictures are constructed.

I have drawn a couple of ideas.

post-23717-0-87499700-1399190869_thumb.j

1 are the construction you suggest. The others have two layers but only no. 2 i think would work. no. 3 only has one layer at the right bend. No 4 deals with this but i don't know how it will work out.

I do have a copy and the handle I wish to make is not a part of the book. Precisely which handle are you referring.

From 7 and up seem to be somewhat similar.

Tom