Sign in to follow this  
marcello

help with awl blades

hi. this is my first post on this forum and are hoping someone can help me out with a question or two. i am wondering why a diamond shaped awl blade is used over a circular profiled awl when hand stitching?

is there a technical reason for this or is it simply for asthetics? there is a definite difference in the look of the stitches but if i were to use a round awl would i stuggle?

i guess a round hole would leave the work looking more machine done ie; stitching that has barely any anglular offset?

also , can anyone recomend a suitable knife for general cutting out of leather 3mm think. i need something with a point for getting into corners and would prefer something i can sharpen myself, rather than an item with replacement blades... any suggestions. thanks, marcello

MARCELLO.............WITH A DIAMOND SHAPE AWL,

YOU WILL HAVE 3 CUTTING EDGES

A ROUND AWL YOU ONLY HAVE ONE.

A GOOD HEAD KNIFE WOULD BE MY CHOCE, FOR CUTTING

Edited by Luke Hatley

is there a technical reason for this or is it simply for asthetics? there is a definite difference in the look of the stitches but if i were to use a round awl would i stuggle?

i guess a round hole would leave the work looking more machine done ie; stitching that has barely any anglular offset?

also , can anyone recomend a suitable knife for general cutting out of leather 3mm think. i need something with a point for getting into corners and would prefer something i can sharpen myself, rather than an item with replacement blades... any suggestions. thanks, marcello

There is a fundamental difference when using a diamond awl. When you pierce the leather with the diamond awl, it uses two of the cutting edges to cut the leather and the other two to spread the leather apart. Then with the diamond hole that's left, one side of the thread will go up into one of the corners of the diamond and the other thread will go into the other corner. If this is done consistently the same way, you will yield perfect stitches.

Some people like round holes, but I've had them fail on me with a dog's harness I made.

As far as the knife, I would suggest a head knife with highly tapered "wings"...i.e. a pattern knife, see below.. this will cut well and get into the corners well. It's probably not the best for skiving though.

pattern_knife.jpg

pattern_knife.jpg

post-3307-1244782042.jpg

MARCELLO.............WITH A DIAMOND SHAPE AWL,

YOU WILL HAVE 3 CUTTING EDGES

A ROUND AWL YOU ONLY HAVE ONE.

A GOOD HEAD KNIFE WOULD BE MY CHOCE, FOR CUTTING

Amen Brutha! :thumbsup:

There is a fundamental difference when using a diamond awl. When you pierce the leather with the diamond awl, it uses two of the cutting edges to cut the leather and the other two to spread the leather apart. Then with the diamond hole that's left, one side of the thread will go up into one of the corners of the diamond and the other thread will go into the other corner. If this is done consistently the same way, you will yield perfect stitches.

Some people like round holes, but I've had them fail on me with a dog's harness I made.

As far as the knife, I would suggest a head knife with highly tapered "wings"...i.e. a pattern knife, see below.. this will cut well and get into the corners well. It's probably not the best for skiving though.

Is that your knife Marlin. That thing looks like it would be very useful.

For the OP I would agree with the others. Also with the head/round knives there tends to be a learning curve. At first they can be a bit intimidating and unwieldy but after a couple hours youll be loving them. Plus as with anything they only work well when they are sharp.

Is that your knife Marlin. That thing looks like it would be very useful.

I could only wish... that's a J Cook knife and I borrowed the pic from his website, disclaimer "FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY". Not affiliated, just the first to come up in google.

thanks for the help. i was not expecting such fast responses.