TimberWolf

Siegel Leather: Black Diamond Tan

Hello,

I have used the Siegel Diamond Tan, in black, for about 4-5 years now. Love it! BUT.....it seems in the last three years it is almost NEVER in stock when I call. Vey frustrating! The salea rep always tells me the same reason- because of the supplier they use, Siegel never knows when they will have more in stock.

So, to anyone familiar with that leather- do you have a source for a replacement? It need to be as close to Siegle leather as possible. Finish, temper, and thickness is perfect for my needs.

I spoke with a sales rep at Siegels yesterday and told her I would certainly buy alot more of thier leather, ( all types) but I have just about given up on them. The service and product is super- when it is available.

Thanks,

Tim

TimberWolf, there isn't a vendor out there that isn't affected by the loss of American Tanneries. Most American vendors, in order to stay competitive with the other vendors, work with tanneries outside the States, having them finish and split according to their needs. The tanneries require large purchases, so the vendors put their specific requests to them. If you have to purchase a thousand hides, you want them to be exactly what you can sell. But that restricts you to specific tanneries that can make what you want. This is usually specific to certain hides, and finishes, being made at certain tanneries, too.

Setting up a relationship with another tannery can be as hard as the dickens. There just aren't that many tanneries left in the US, and hides are now subject to the Global economy. From what I understand, China is buying up everything ANY tannery can produce, the rest is scooped up by our few vendors whenever they can.

It's hardest on us, because we can't stock up when the hides are in. Few of us can buy that many of the same hides for inventory.

I'm not really sticking up for the vendors, because they make business decisions we are not privy to, but even though we may not like those decisions, they are doing what business does to survive, including complaining to the tanneries, but sometimes with little effect. Nothing makes us madder than when we need to make something for a customer, and we can't get what we need.

For your specific need right now, if you can't get a response on this board,start calling other vendors to see if they have the hide. Try some of the smaller guys, like Waterhouse. They can often suprise.

Thanks for the reply, rdb. Very true about the tannery shortage in the USA. Unfortunately, things are not like they used to be in many aspects of manufacturing. I am very "buy American" when possible, but now-a-days that is almost a thing of the past.

When I am lucky enough to find a leather that is perfect for whatever product I am making, it really is frustrating when it is not available. I like a very consistant product, and when using an alternative leather, it is always hit or miss on the consistancy. That is one reason I like the Diamond Tan so much- when it is available, I can count on it being the same every time.

Guess I'll have to shop around and get some sample swatches coming this way. Thanks again for you input.

Tim

Tim,

It is just as frustrating for them not to have it. The last shipment they got had spots on it. I like the DT for rope bag gussets - just the right mix of body to keep them from collapsing and flexibility to reach into the bag. I ran into the same deal on the black before Christmas. I had an order for a black rope bag. I ended up and hunted around and found some black oiltan at TLF that was a distressed type look. I overdyed it with black spirit dye and it really came out well. Hidehouse has some similar leather. I picked some brown up for a friend a couple weeks ago. The invoice calls it "velva oiltan".

IMG_0032.JPG

post-29-1236179374_thumb.jpg

Tim,

It is just as frustrating for them not to have it. The last shipment they got had spots on it. I like the DT for rope bag gussets - just the right mix of body to keep them from collapsing and flexibility to reach into the bag. I ran into the same deal on the black before Christmas. I had an order for a black rope bag. I ended up and hunted around and found some black oiltan at TLF that was a distressed type look. I overdyed it with black spirit dye and it really came out well. Hidehouse has some similar leather. I picked some brown up for a friend a couple weeks ago. The invoice calls it "velva oiltan".

As Bruce writes, Hidehouse is a good alternate source. So is Zack White. Weaver should be good too, though I have yet to buy from Weaver.

ed

I have in the last month just come to realize, if you're not getting leather direct from the tannery, you are getting someone else's rejects, at least when it comes to lighter weight chrome tan. In '93 we were making 1300 pr. of chaps a year, we had 75 dealers in addition to what we sold ourselves. Everything has to be consistent so when the dealers order a color they know what they are going to get. In order to get that consistency we had to buy a whole run at a time. For 15 years we got our leather from Irving Tanning. Now Prime has bought Irving and after 15 yrs. the salesman who sold us the leather all that time won't even return our calls.

So now we buy like 5 sides from somebody to sample it, call and say give me twenty more and either they don't have it or send something totally different that is not even acceptable. It has just about ruined our chap business. Unfortunately, that was where our profit was. The Chinese tanneries are somewhat subsidised, so they get all the raw hides and our finished leather goes there also for purses, cars and shoes. It used to go to South America when the shoe trade was there, but at least some was left here.

I don't know where I was going with this, But it is hard for everyone out there.

We've gone from having about the best custom English chaps around to where I don't really want to help the customer make their choices.

One time I went to one of our dealers and measured and made choices with 75 women in 2 days, now I can't even sell enough to make it worth the trip. We went to the Washington International Horse Show 18 years in a row, this year, I really didn't have anything to take and knew business wouldn't be good so we didn't do it. I really would liked to have done it because it was the fiftieth anniversary of the show.

Oh well, as an old cowboy told me once in New Mexico about a drought, it'll rain, it always has.

Kevin