Jazznow

Leather Journals/magazines

hello folks,

I did a forum search but found nothing, so i start a new topic :)

I would like to collect Journals or Magazines about our topic in this Thread. So what jpurnals do you know? Which one is your favourit, which one do you subscribe?

I found the Leather Crafters and Saddlers journal on the internet and think about subscribing to it, but don't know, if there are better journals out there.

Greetings,

Jazznow

I don't think you are really going to find anything better than the leather crafters and saddlers journals. You have the top people in all aspects of the profession/hobby posting in the journal, giving how-to's, and also patterns. They are definitely worth their weight in gold. Just my opinion.

Frank

hello folks,

I would like to collect Journals or Magazines about our topic in this Thread. So what jpurnals do you know? Which one is your favourit, which one do you subscribe?

I found the Leather Crafters and Saddlers journal on the internet and think about subscribing to it, but don't know, if there are better journals out there.

Greetings,

Jazznow

The Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal is about the only magazine on the market for us. It's full of "how to's" and the ad's are one of the best features. There is also a pattern pull out that features the designs talked about in the magazine. It's well worth the price.

Another magazine devoted to the leather workers is called "Shop Talk". It's put out by Proleptic and leans a little towards saddle and shoe/boot makers. But there are many articles that are worth reading, as they talk about what is going on in the world of leather. They are about companies from around the world that tan leather, sell various products and just about anything else you want to know about that is leather related. About once a year there is a report about the price of hides and this is important as it gives an idea about how much we will be paying for a side when we order leather. Also, one last thing, once a year there comes out a directory issue that features just about any and all companies that deal with leather and leather related items. That issue alone makes it worth buying Shop Talk. If you have trouble finding hardware, that issue will point you in the right direction.

Now that I've rambled on and bored you, I hope you look into the Shop Talk. You can check it out at: http://www.proleptic.net/

hello folks,

Greetings,

Jazznow

Hello jazznow,

I second frank and joet in their recommondation of the the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal. I am a subscriber of it and am entirely happy with it.

Mark, the leatherthresher.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I think i will check them out both.

I found an digital journal, which seems to be for free. It's called RawHide Gazette. Looks good to me, too.

Many Greetings,

Jonathan

The LCSJ is probably the only magazine of its kind here. I would highly recommend subscribing to it. If you are interestedin braiding, you can check out the Australian Plaiters and Whipmakers Association at www.apwa.org.au They try to produce a Journal 4 times a year. They have great articles about braiding and whipmaking. Many members world wide. Like the LCSJ they are always looking for members to send in how-to articles and such.