endlessmike

Day One Leatherworking Questions

Hello everyone! Just discovered the site and am really enjoying the community! I did a bit of searching around (probably didn't have the best search parameters) but have a few general questions for a completely new craftsman.

I believe my interests revolve around more simple design, not so much carved, just hand stitched. I would like to start with maybe a wallet or belt, maybe a dog lead. Question is, what are the basic tools I need to get going? Is a stitching chisel the way to go or maybe a prickling chisel maybe ever just punches?

Basically I was hoping for opinions of a good "starter" loadout for a simple, no carve workbench. I don't have a ton of money to spend but do not want to have to rebuy after junk tools break so medium grade sounds like a plan.

PS: The Art of Hand Sewing Leather is already on order.

Ok, you have the book, so that's #1. Now, there have been several good videos posted lately. Here's a really good series, as well as a few pages of posts to really help you. As you'll see him explain later in the posts, the pricking iron is for marking the wholes, the awl is for punching through to the other side. He didn't make that very clear in the video, but elaborated later on.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44874