Couple of wallets I've done. One is a pair of M9 Beretta's and the other is a Affliction style design for my little brother. Enjoy

joshswallet007.jpg

joshswallet005.jpg

joshswallet006.jpg

salswallet001.jpg

salswallet002.jpg

salswallet003.jpg

salswallet004.jpg

Couple of wallets I've done. One is a pair of M9 Beretta's and the other is a Affliction style design for my little brother. Enjoy

Very cool. What oz leather did you use?

Chris

Nice looking wallets!! I really like how nice the pair of pistols came out. Nice Job!!

Over all they look excellent. Great coloring and carving. Cool design as well for construction.

One little pointer I would suggest, on the inside liner make a half circle at the bottom that is cut out. Then shorten the liner by about a quarter to half inch shorter overall length then the wallet body. When you put it together dont stitch the little half circle cut out. This will help with the bulge that can happen when you fold them in two.

Over all they look excellent. Great coloring and carving. Cool design as well for construction.

One little pointer I would suggest, on the inside liner make a half circle at the bottom that is cut out. Then shorten the liner by about a quarter to half inch shorter overall length then the wallet body. When you put it together dont stitch the little half circle cut out. This will help with the bulge that can happen when you fold them in two.

Great advise! I've been trying to think of a way to fix that. Thanks Again!

Very cool. What oz leather did you use?

Chris

Thanks! I used 3oz and 6oz on both of them .

Very nice looking wallets! My wife really liked the detail on the guns until she learned what FTW meant! I know, but she is a country girl! She never drank or smoked ever! I didn't find this out until after I met her......

I would like to make some suggestions....not constructive criticisim. I would like to suggest that you stay away (if possible) from using the (i'm assuming) 4 whole punch chisel for your border stitching. Try out a 4 point chisel and grind them down to about 3/32 or smaller. You can use them to lightly tap them a scribe line with your maul just enough to show you the markings (or you can use a stitch marker).........Then use your awl and make your holes as you sitch or all at once. It will provide you a tighter sitch and look much more professional. It appears that your wallet back came out of a Tandy precut project package. Secondly, try out a groove maker to cut a channel and do your sitching inside that channel. The groove will allow your stitching to be protected from being cut, frayed or injuried plus it looks very nice.

Finally, I agree, a hole or 'U' cut at the bottom fold of the inside of your wallet. I would also consider a 1-2 or 2 oz leather for the interior. Usually, the contents will cause any wallet to bulk up (except for mine...lol), but to have the wallet start out bulking may cause discomfort..........trust me!

Just a couple of ideas to ponder................for a while..............................and then delete!

I do have to say that the color is awesome and the details are extreme! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice looking wallets! My wife really liked the detail on the guns until she learned what FTW meant! I know, but she is a country girl! She never drank or smoked ever! I didn't find this out until after I met her......

I would like to make some suggestions....not constructive criticisim. I would like to suggest that you stay away (if possible) from using the (i'm assuming) 4 whole punch chisel for your border stitching. Try out a 4 point chisel and grind them down to about 3/32 or smaller. You can use them to lightly tap them a scribe line with your maul just enough to show you the markings (or you can use a stitch marker).........Then use your awl and make your holes as you sitch or all at once. It will provide you a tighter sitch and look much more professional. It appears that your wallet back came out of a Tandy precut project package. Secondly, try out a groove maker to cut a channel and do your sitching inside that channel. The groove will allow your stitching to be protected from being cut, frayed or injuried plus it looks very nice.

Finally, I agree, a hole or 'U' cut at the bottom fold of the inside of your wallet. I would also consider a 1-2 or 2 oz leather for the interior. Usually, the contents will cause any wallet to bulk up (except for mine...lol), but to have the wallet start out bulking may cause discomfort..........trust me!

Just a couple of ideas to ponder................for a while..............................and then delete!

I do have to say that the color is awesome and the details are extreme! Thanks for sharing!

Again Thanks for the advise.

It's always helpful when trying to put out a better product.

I use a stitch wheel to mark my stitching, then I drill the holes out with a 3/32 drill bit on my dremel.

I do cut all my piece's from templet's that I have made . I think the grove on the stitch line will help out also. I did use a thinner wax thread on it so that maybe why the holes are so visable.

Let your wife know that the other meaning for FTW is"Forever Two Wheels"

Cool I will let her know!

I do have to ask why you used a dremel drill for the holes? Is your leather too tuff? Is it too bulky? I hand stitch all of my projects and have only found one or two items that required a drill to make my holes. I usually do the following:

1. I cut my groove.....the distance from the end is usually determined by the thickness of the leather piece finished.

2. I will then use my stitch marker at 7spi and mark my stitches all around.

3. I load my project onto my stitch horse......grab a beer and sit on the couch.......I will then turn on Fox News

4. I use wax white cotton thread and cut about 1.5 yards of thread and start my stitches.

5. at the end of the stitches....I will usually drop some glue at the very edge of the last stitch and once it dries I will trim it off.

6. Once I am done stitching....I will use my marker and go over my stitches again. This will usually cause them to settle into the groove.

7. Once the project is done, if I haven't done so, I will either put some protectant on the thread or the entire wallet, depending.

Anyways, this is the way I have learned to do it.

Good luck!

At my first bag I also used my Dremel to drill the holes, it didn't come out like I wanted to see, so the next thing I bought was an awl.

Need to buy a groover , as long as I don't have one , make a line with a definer and give it a light cut with my swiffel knife.

You also missed some stitches at the corners.

You're carving is great , love the design.

Cool I will let her know!

I do have to ask why you used a dremel drill for the holes? Is your leather too tuff? Is it too bulky? I hand stitch all of my projects and have only found one or two items that required a drill to make my holes. I usually do the following:

1. I cut my groove.....the distance from the end is usually determined by the thickness of the leather piece finished.

2. I will then use my stitch marker at 7spi and mark my stitches all around.

3. I load my project onto my stitch horse......grab a beer and sit on the couch.......I will then turn on Fox News

4. I use wax white cotton thread and cut about 1.5 yards of thread and start my stitches.

5. at the end of the stitches....I will usually drop some glue at the very edge of the last stitch and once it dries I will trim it off.

6. Once I am done stitching....I will use my marker and go over my stitches again. This will usually cause them to settle into the groove.

7. Once the project is done, if I haven't done so, I will either put some protectant on the thread or the entire wallet, depending.

Anyways, this is the way I have learned to do it.

Good luck!

I think if I watched fox news while stitching, I'd be more prone to stab myself. And if you're a gamer geek, FTW means "for the win"

I'd definately go for an awl, and pick up Al Stohlman's book. it'll save you a lot of trouble. If you still want round holes, there's 4 hole round lacing punches which are much faster than dremels, and if you want to mimic awl pokes, get a 4 prong diamond chisel punch. I still use the later on thin leathers that would be too hard to use an awl on. I'd also go for thinner leathers, you want a handmade wallet that doesn't feel homemade - the thinner the wallet, the more you can stuff in it without it getting super fat and uncomfortable. I make backs out of 4 oz and liners out of 1-2 oz, with folded over top edges - still loads more rugged than store bought wallets made entirely out of 2 oz and fabrics.

Edited by BAD HIDE