Sign in to follow this  
equiss

Canteens and Rope Canisters

Does anyone have any patterns that they can share on how to make a covered canteen and custom leather rope canisters (ropes as in rodeo, roping, etc)......I would appreciate any advice or patterns that I can get on construction and assembly, I don't really know where to start - thanks much!

I've covered a couple of rope cans and three goat string cans for nieces and nephews. I just work out a pattern that fits the diameter of the lid. After it is carved and finished I scuff the lid with sandpaper and use barges to glue the leather to the lid. I also replace the factory nylon strap with a leather one carved with a matching pattern. The are fun projects. Good luck.

I pretty much do my cans like Richard. I have only used Barges on them - two thin coats on the leather. I weight my covers for 12 hours after I have set them on. I use the Smith Brothers cans. They are a little hard to get right now, but I have scored enough here and there to get me past Christmas orders right now. I have done a few goat string cans and the cosmetic cases with the DallyUp flexible plastic deals. They have held up for at least a couple years so far with nothing but glue. I haven't tried the thinner rope cans yet.

I pretty much do my cans like Richard. I have only used Barges on them - two thin coats on the leather. I weight my covers for 12 hours after I have set them on. I use the Smith Brothers cans. They are a little hard to get right now, but I have scored enough here and there to get me past Christmas orders right now. I have done a few goat string cans and the cosmetic cases with the DallyUp flexible plastic deals. They have held up for at least a couple years so far with nothing but glue. I haven't tried the thinner rope cans yet.

That helps, I wasn't aware that you actually "cover" an existing can - but make all the pieces (tops, sides, handles, etc) and then glue and stitch them together, so now I guess I better find out what a "bare" rope canister looks like!

there is rope bags and there are rope cans. Both you can find on Smithborthers web site or NRS ( nat ropers supply ). the rope cans are had fiber glass and is made for 2-4-or 6 ropes and are vary nice to have and use the rope bags are navjo or canvas mostly and you can add a lether patch to it vary nice. If you want to build a hold leather rope bag IM me and ill show you pics of the 2 I did and there are others here that build vary nice ones but thay will take about as much work as a plain saddle in time wise to make a all leather one.

Russ