Butch

Rookie question - Cutting leather

I use an angled utility knife to cut leather and have no problem cutting straight lines because I use a steel ruler. However, I'm having a heck of a time when I try to make curves (Mostly half circles, scalloped etc). I've been folding the leather over and want both sides to be identical, but as I mentioned everything goes great until I deviate from the straight line. Is there something else that can be used that will cut the straight edge as well as make a nice clean circle?

One other thing the half circles may only be 1/2" to 3/4"

Thanks,

Butch

Edited by Butch

On your small radius scallops use a half round end punch, for larger circles and curves use a round knife. These half round shaped knives are designed for cutting leather. They are awkward to use at first.Seek out someone in your area to show how to use one would be benificial.

exacto knife and templates works for me. I make me templates out of posterboard. if I need circles (even partial ones) I use either a compass to make the circle on the posterboard, cut it out carefully and lay it on top of the leather where I need it, or jsut find something real quick that has the same size circle I want to use. bottle cap, tube, or whatever.

Thanks for the info guys. I used a pill bottle cap to cut a semi circle and that helped, although I'm going to need to practice at it some more.

Buy a pair of quality shears/scissors. :)

I use razor edged quilters shears for just about all my cutting, Makes life easy.

Oki, here's my input in the subcejt...

I cut a whole lot of curby/curley "lines". I use a scalpel and only from the backside of the leather. I start out making a very small trace in the leather (light hand here) just to get it right. The the next cut a little bit more but NOT all the way. Depending on the weight of the leather it might take 3-4 times before I cut all the way but this way, the nice front side (grain) of the leather is only cut once. The scalpel blade I'm using is number 22 for these cuts. Very clean cuts and looks great. Because you do the first cut very lightly you have "full control" process.

Good luck :-)

well the round knife is my tool of choice for cutting leather..specially curves

circles? I'd use a circle cutter or get a punch/clicker die - if i was going to be doing lots of circles

Just got home and opened the goody box from Tandy- inside was my AS head knife. Out of the box it's purty dang sharp, but once I start on the stropping......yikes. cuts straight, curves, wavies, etc....and skives if you hold it right.

On another thread, I said " why do you need one...I use ....".

Well, now I know. Glad I paid the money for it, and I'm thinking of adding another when $$ allows.

I came out of the dark ages several years ago and bought my first round knife, the utility knife is kept to open boxes. I now have 3 different round knifes and I will never cut leather with anything else. A sharpe round knife will do more with less effort that any other cutting tool. It is worth whatever you pay for one.

Randy

Thanks everyone for the input. I did buy some sharp scissors, which has helped in cutting thinner leather. Looks like I need to do more investigation in buying a Round Knife also.

Thanks again

Edited by Butch

Thanks everyone for the input. I did buy some sharp scissors, which has helped in cutting thinner leather. Looks like I need to do more investigation in buying a Round Knife also.

Thanks again

Butch,

I have noticed several people recommending a round knife, or head knife. These are the absolute best cutting tools to use to provide accurate cuts of leather. However, you must respect them. These are serious tools that can cut the person using one just as quickly as they cut the leather. I recommend Al Stohlman's book "Leatherworking Tools - How to use them and How to Sharpen Them". That may not be the exact title, but it is close enough. Go to a Tandy Leather Factory. You can pick up a copy there. It is well worth it. Pages 4 through 14 go into great detail on how to safely use the round knife and how to sharpen it.

I have both the round knife and head knife and love them. When you procure one, respect it. They bite.

I for one use a Buck 110 folder. I get it very sharp, strop it and cut the small curved areas in the pattern. Always be sure to cut away from you and keep turning the leather as you cut to ensure you keep cutting away from you and keep you other hand behide the direction of the cut and way from the blade.. The curved portion of the Buck knife can cut the small curves by rocking the tip of the knife into the curve giving it a clean cut, work slowly and carfully. I have used this knife in cutting learther in the same way I use a head knife. For me it is easier than useing a head knife most of the time, but my head knife still gets used for time to time. Hope this helps.