dragonspit

Want To Do A Spot Of Lacing

Hi all,

I finished my first notepad type thingy. I only have my smart phone to work with and am strugglin or I would have posted by now. but the few folks that seen it, like it so much one of them asked I make them one, which I am.

so I am challenging myself a tad, by adding a spine cover, and I thought, hmm ya know what would look nice, just a 3 band braid of lacing down the center of the spine cover, not even the whole way.

but I have a question I have yet to find an answer to.

so I get my holes set up and lets say Im going to start at the top. I have 3 holes (I have not done this yet, just thinking through it), I pull 3 pieces of lace, one through each hole, and now I have to create a way to secure the lace so it will not slide out of the hole. normally, I would think to knot it. however, that most likely wont work as the spine cover would bulge at that point, up against the actual spine, especially with 3 of them. I suppose I could glue it, but I am unsure about how stable that would be over time. i suppose since I will have a liner, I could even stitch it to the cover before the liner is in, but that might show as well with the thinner material I am using for the liner. So I am looking for ideas on what folks do in this case.

so if anyone had any pointers, would be appreciated. and I swear, Im working on the phone images so I can post the first project, so I can also show this one to. I expect this one to top that one by a bit.

thanks in advance,

Bob

I would glue the ends of the lacing down. Then, when you glue your liner in, you will be securing most of the lacing. It should hold up pretty will if you are using contact cement.

I would glue the ends of the lacing down. Then, when you glue your liner in, you will be securing most of the lacing. It should hold up pretty will if you are using contact cement.

I was afraid the glue might not hold as its on a spine that opens and closes a lot. and the lace would be between the inside of the spine cover, and outside of the actual cover. and the spine cover would be stitched on so movement would be or should be minimal.

what you said got me to thinking. so, I was intending on the binder being a one piece, would/should you only put a spine cover if you were having not a one piece, but only if you had a two piece to join them together. I was just adding the spine cover for looks and to add some more strength. now I am wondering if there is a negative issue with putting a spine cover on a solid one piece cover?

one step forward, two steps back, lol.

appreciate the comment.

Bob

I was afraid the glue might not hold as its on a spine that opens and closes a lot. and the lace would be between the inside of the spine cover, and outside of the actual cover. and the spine cover would be stitched on so movement would be or should be minimal.

what you said got me to thinking. so, I was intending on the binder being a one piece, would/should you only put a spine cover if you were having not a one piece, but only if you had a two piece to join them together. I was just adding the spine cover for looks and to add some more strength. now I am wondering if there is a negative issue with putting a spine cover on a solid one piece cover?

one step forward, two steps back, lol.

appreciate the comment.

Bob

No pictures, so I admit having a little difficulty visualizing what you are doing. What about leaving some extra lacing hanging out (I assume you are lacing at the top), so it can act as a bookmark? Maybe knot it outside of the cover so it does not pull back in, or even braiding/weaving a short bit of it with some thin sewing thread to tie it together?

No pictures, so I admit having a little difficulty visualizing what you are doing. What about leaving some extra lacing hanging out (I assume you are lacing at the top), so it can act as a bookmark? Maybe knot it outside of the cover so it does not pull back in, or even braiding/weaving a short bit of it with some thin sewing thread to tie it together?

Thanks for the input JC, you might have hit upon something I wasnt thinking, or at least an alternative.

Due to lack of picture, cause I havent done anything yet. The spine cover is from top to bottom, a little over 12", and its 3 1/4 wide. so if you have a piece of leather, 3 1/4 wide by 12 tall, I was going to just for accent, using a standard 3 hole lacing prong, create a series of holes about 4 or 5" long, in the center of the spine cover, right in the middle. Does that help picture it? so I would do the lacing on the spine cover, then I would sew the spine cover onto the main cover. but I was afraid if i dont secure the ends of the lace, they could eventually get loose enough to pop out. maybe not.

but I like your idea of being at the top and using as a book mark type thing. it could maybe even just be decorative. I did think of sewing it somehow, but I think what you said about weaving a short bit then sew it together, most likely would be the best idea. I will play with that and see if I can make that happen. I got a piece of scrap I can use to practice.

thanks for the ideas.

Bob

Hi I read your post and had an idea or 2. This is just my humble opinion - What I imagine I would try would be to have an inch or so on the inside above and below the braided area ( you might try braiding it a little on the inside - Tap it a little bit with your mallet to flatten it out & that might keep it in place) and then trim it when you're finished. Have you thought about stitching completely around this braided area - As a part of the design? It seems like that would help stabilize your project. Then glue the ends down.

I might try that. And then you would glue the liner in - so that would glue the braid and the ends to the liner?

Some times when you are designing something new, you just have to make one and use it. You learn from your mistakes or your happy discoveries and using the item you will know how it will hold up and what you could do to make it better.

Good luck with your project and let us know what you end up trying.

and

Hi I read your post and had an idea or 2. This is just my humble opinion - What I imagine I would try would be to have an inch or so on the inside above and below the braided area ( you might try braiding it a little on the inside - Tap it a little bit with your mallet to flatten it out & that might keep it in place) and then trim it when you're finished. Have you thought about stitching completely around this braided area - As a part of the design? It seems like that would help stabilize your project. Then glue the ends down.

I might try that. And then you would glue the liner in - so that would glue the braid and the ends to the liner?

Some times when you are designing something new, you just have to make one and use it. You learn from your mistakes or your happy discoveries and using the item you will know how it will hold up and what you could do to make it better.

Good luck with your project and let us know what you end up trying.

and

Thanks Cheryl, I think I am going to combine a couple of ideas to gether. I think I will braid a little bit above and below, as I have plenty of spine left, according to my design. then I think I will sew part of those together and add a touch o glue.

the liner part wont help because as I mentioned, I am adding this spine cover, but the main cover is all one piece, so the liner would never touch the middle of the spine cover like it would if you were using two halves instead of one whole piece. but I think thats the way to go. It would have to take some aweful abuse to become, unsewn, unglued, unraveled and pulled out of the holes.

thanks for the ideas. all I have to do is learn how to lace, lol. but I got a book. : D

Hi all,

I finished my first notepad type thingy. I only have my smart phone to work with and am strugglin or I would have posted by now. but the few folks that seen it, like it so much one of them asked I make them one, which I am.

so I am challenging myself a tad, by adding a spine cover, and I thought, hmm ya know what would look nice, just a 3 band braid of lacing down the center of the spine cover, not even the whole way.

but I have a question I have yet to find an answer to.

so I get my holes set up and lets say Im going to start at the top. I have 3 holes (I have not done this yet, just thinking through it), I pull 3 pieces of lace, one through each hole, and now I have to create a way to secure the lace so it will not slide out of the hole. normally, I would think to knot it. however, that most likely wont work as the spine cover would bulge at that point, up against the actual spine, especially with 3 of them. I suppose I could glue it, but I am unsure about how stable that would be over time. i suppose since I will have a liner, I could even stitch it to the cover before the liner is in, but that might show as well with the thinner material I am using for the liner. So I am looking for ideas on what folks do in this case.

so if anyone had any pointers, would be appreciated. and I swear, Im working on the phone images so I can post the first project, so I can also show this one to. I expect this one to top that one by a bit.

thanks in advance,

Bob

A picture would help. But, if I'm visualizing correctly, all you need to do is leave sufficient length on your standing ends so you weave them into your braid pattern on the back. Do it all the time on appliques. It won't come out.