Well this thread is going to be an ongoing thread that I update as much as possible to show the progression( hopefully) of my leather working skills. I started working leather about 3 days ago! tongue.gif I've been wanting to start making my own holsters for sometime now, but I am a full time Mechanical Engineering student and I have very little free time. But, i finally got around to getting my stuff! I thought that this thread would be interesting for everyone on here and keep me motivated to continue. I would really appreciate as may tips and as much constructive criticism as possible to further my skill an knowledge. Well lets get this show on the road and show ya'll what ive done so far starting with an IWB holster made for my XD-9sc. I have also started working on a small of the back holster for a S&W 2214. They are both made of 8-9oz leather and are unfinished. They still need to be stained, burnished, and ect. Ok ya'll tell me how I've done so far!0304002205.jpg0305002055.jpg0305000013.jpg0304002321.jpg

post-11909-126819852459_thumb.jpg

post-11909-126819853452_thumb.jpg

post-11909-126819854599_thumb.jpg

post-11909-126819855376_thumb.jpg

I didnt want to put all these Pictures up here because i didnt want to make the first part so pic heavy. But, this link has all the Pictures(click me)!! start at the bottom and scroll up that shows the timeline! thanks!

Edited by bigo5552000

Not too bad for a first attempt. Just a few suggestions. First you might want to use different leather than bellies. Not really firm enough for holsters. Get Al Stohlman's book on hand stitching. Read hidepounders post (sticky) on edge finishing. Look up some of the past posts by Lobo, Particle, Boomstick, DickF, and see some of the holsters they have posted it will give you an idea of what to shoot for.

cool thanks

I would use brown thread to go with that light color. Of course if you are using a sewing machine a lot of thread comes by the lb and can be harder to get in small quantities. In that case I would dye it a medium brown, cordovan, or black if the color is up to you.

I would use brown thread to go with that light color. Of course if you are using a sewing machine a lot of thread comes by the lb and can be harder to get in small quantities. In that case I would dye it a medium brown, cordovan, or black if the color is up to you.

im going to dye the holster a dark color just havnt gotten that far yet!

first two holsters dyed! i didnt burnish the edges i just wanted to practice dying on these two! how does the dye look?? i put it on with a dabber! 0313001552.jpg0313001553.jpg

post-11909-126851776912_thumb.jpg

post-11909-126851778157_thumb.jpg

Looks ok.

Did you clean the finished product before dying it? Clean it with some alcohol or some deglazer, let that dry then dye it. Also when you finish and buff it out then apply your oil, and then your finish coat this will alter the way the dye job looks a small bit. Doing the whole process will give ya a better idea of what the overall finished holster will look like.

Looks ok.

Did you clean the finished product before dying it? Clean it with some alcohol or some deglazer, let that dry then dye it. Also when you finish and buff it out then apply your oil, and then your finish coat this will alter the way the dye job looks a small bit. Doing the whole process will give ya a better idea of what the overall finished holster will look like.

no i didnt. but i will next time.

for oil can i use neatsfoot oil??

and for the finish coat can i usr resolene??

thanks for the advice!

ok guys here is my third holster. it is for a full sized 1911 and is left handed. i had some issues with the sealer. i was using resolene and brushed it on and had all kinds of bubbles and stuff. should i us another method of applying the sealer?? would love some constructive critasim.

thanks

0314002035.jpg

0314002037.jpg

0314002038.jpg

0314002041.jpg

post-11909-12686191349_thumb.jpg

post-11909-126861914672_thumb.jpg

post-11909-126861915946_thumb.jpg

post-11909-126861917369_thumb.jpg

im going to dye the holster a dark color just havnt gotten that far yet!

Oh, gosh! I responded to the wrong thread somehow and that is why my comments did not make any sense! I would still have preferred a dark brown thread, or white if you want contrast instead. I don't know why but personally I do not like black thread on brown dye.

Edited by Penden

#4 tell me what you guys think. it is for a XD-9sc. comments please!!!

DSC_0158-1.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0170-2.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

bigo,

Welcome to the forum, mate!

Regarding your XD SC holster:

The first thing that pops out at me is that it's going to get sloppy real fast. You have no stitch line around the perimeter of the pistol, and that's going to end up being a problem after some use. So, first things first, add a stitch line that follows the slide and around the trigger guard down to the muzzle. Make sure this line comes in close and follows the lines of the gun. Not only will it look better, but it will give that holster the long-term retention it needs to stay in service.

Another piece of advice: Don't rush this. These things aren't meant to be turned out in mass quantity by us leatherworkers - leave that to the guys with giant machines and many employees. Concentrate on quality and perfecting the little things. Your edges, for example. They could be smooth, but they are blotchy and don't hold the same color in any two spots. Get some dye and go around the edges to even the color, and do your best not to let any drift over on the holster body. Also, never leave a stitch line to dead-end somewhere. Try to connect them, and if you can't, let it dead-end in the middle of the side somewhere where there is no tension necessary.

I think you're off to a great start, but I also think you're in a hurry. Slow down, concentrate on the little things, and think things out before you start cutting. I think you'd be surprised at how much progress you'd make without the pedal to the metal.

;)

bigo,

Welcome to the forum, mate!

Regarding your XD SC holster:

The first thing that pops out at me is that it's going to get sloppy real fast. You have no stitch line around the perimeter of the pistol, and that's going to end up being a problem after some use. So, first things first, add a stitch line that follows the slide and around the trigger guard down to the muzzle. Make sure this line comes in close and follows the lines of the gun. Not only will it look better, but it will give that holster the long-term retention it needs to stay in service.

Another piece of advice: Don't rush this. These things aren't meant to be turned out in mass quantity by us leatherworkers - leave that to the guys with giant machines and many employees. Concentrate on quality and perfecting the little things. Your edges, for example. They could be smooth, but they are blotchy and don't hold the same color in any two spots. Get some dye and go around the edges to even the color, and do your best not to let any drift over on the holster body. Also, never leave a stitch line to dead-end somewhere. Try to connect them, and if you can't, let it dead-end in the middle of the side somewhere where there is no tension necessary.

I think you're off to a great start, but I also think you're in a hurry. Slow down, concentrate on the little things, and think things out before you start cutting. I think you'd be surprised at how much progress you'd make without the pedal to the metal.

;)

thanks for all the advice!!!

here is my latest holster! it is for a S&W 469!! can u please critique it!!! tell me what u think!!!

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

I don't have a gentle heart...especially after a couple of scotch's, so i apologize up front...

I think you should buy a quality holster from a reputable maker. Look at it. Study it. Try and understand how the maker designed it and how the lines work. Where does the belt line run and how high/low does the holster ride. Check out the edges and the finish on the interior. This is not an easy process and you should keep up the good work. Persistance, in the end, is what separates a holster maker from someone looking to make a quick buck.

A few things I noticed. First I'll second what leathercaptain said. It looks like you intended the gun to go further into the holster but got your stitchline too close. I noted the pinched off muzzle of the holster. With large weapons like the 459 those cheap clips from Tandy just don't get it. Try for a smooth flow in the lines of the holster. The eye likes curves and those straight lines and square corners at the rear of the holster are not pretty. It looks like you are getting too much moisture in your leather when forming. That gives the leather surface that kind of wrinkly effect you are getting and also hurts your boning detail. If you are going to handstitch invest in a stitchmarking wheel, a good awl and matching harness needles for the thread you are using. Punched holes are for lacing not stitching. Spend some more time on your edges they are looking better however.

It looks like you are getting the idea and improving but do study others work and see where you need improvement. If you don't know how do accomplish something, ask a specific question, the folks here will be happy to answer. None of us, with the possible exception of Particle, did quality work from the get go. There is a learning curve. You can shorten it with the proper questions.