hey guys got some of this stuff to use to keep the back of my leather nice and smooth like on belts and stuff.

Now how do I use it. Do I use it on dry leather or should it be moistened? How much to use? Do you just rub it in tot he flesh side?

Thanks for the help.

hey guys got some of this stuff to use to keep the back of my leather nice and smooth like on belts and stuff.

Now how do I use it. Do I use it on dry leather or should it be moistened? How much to use? Do you just rub it in tot he flesh side?

Thanks for the help.

I used to use it, but now I just use water. I get the same or better results. But to use it, just coat the edge or back of the project with it (I used it on dry leather). Then rub it with a slicker or piece of canvas and this should make the fibers lay down.

Marlon

Dito Marlon!!

I just open that can from time to time to smell it;-)

Tom

I use it on my project. I get better results than with just plain water. I have a local master craftsman who has been doing leatherwork for about 50 years and he swears by it.

I dip a Qtip in the bottle to get a little on the tip and then rub it on a section of the edge and over the back of the project. I then grab my slicker and rub like crazy. Once I get that nice 'burnished' look I move onto another section.

Rubbing with a piece of folded canvas works really well too as the other guys suggested. I just havent got to the material store to pick any up yet.

Be careful of getting the gum on the front of the project. My first attempt I used way too much and it slopped over onto the front and left a discolored area all around the front edge. I was dyeing the piece black so it wasnt a big deal for this one.

Hope this helps!

William

Thanks a bunch guys.

Hey Everbody, I use the Gum Trag on the edges of just about all my stuff. I tried burnt down daubers, small pieces of rags, Q-Tips, and all kinds of other things that embarass me to tell. The absolute best thing I found to apply to the edges of belts, etc., is my finger. I just get a little out and dip the tip of my finger in it and put it on that way. Best control of anything I tried. I also don't really do enough stuff to really need a power slicker, even though it would be nice to have one. I use one of the old Tandy made, with a 3/16 bolt and nut in a drill. It's not the best setup but it works for now. Anyway wishing everyone a safe and happy day Billy P

Dito Marlon!!

Tom

:rofl:

Dito Marlon!!

Tom

Goog idea Tom....now I know what to use when I'm out of Barge & Neat-Lac! :NEWFUNNYPOST:

I used to use it, but now I just use water. I get the same or better results. But to use it, just coat the edge or back of the project with it (I used it on dry leather). Then rub it with a slicker or piece of canvas and this should make the fibers lay down.

Marlon

Does this stetch the leather? I mean significantly.

To me, it has a very similar result, but with water, i got a little bit of grey blue colour. I wasnt paying attention to the amount of dirt before, so you might have to try for yourself.

No it doesn't stretch the leather much. you're not going to put a lot of water on, just enough to dampen the surface. you also don't need to put a lot of pressure on the leather to make the fibers lay down, you're after friction and heat. Not sure about the grey blue color issue tho. maybe there's some rub off from a dye?

marlon