Sign in to follow this  
pellegrino

Why Not Use Chrome-Tanned Leather?

I hope to be excused, I'm in this wonderful world for a short time and not everything is clear to me.....

I always read to use "only" vegetable-tanned leather and NOT USE chrome-tanned leather ... why?

If I use the black colored leather what can happen?

I used black colored leather twice and it seems to me that everything is ok, am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Chrome tanned leather is used in a LOT of things, and about the only things you shouldn't use it on is holsters, sheathes, or anything that'll be in contact with oxidizable (rustable) metal.

The reason is that chrome tanned leather is made using chromium salts. Those salts are still present in small amounts even in the finished product and can damage the finish on metal. So, for something like a very nice pistol, or a custom knife, it'd be a bad thing to have a holster or sheath that eats the metal.

Also, chrome tanned leather does not mold, carve, stamp, etc. as well. For something like a jacket or a purse, that's okay. It isn't unusual to see a nice piece of veg tan with a beautiful carving sewn onto chrome tan in the case of a purse.

Chrome tanned leather is used in a LOT of things, and about the only things you shouldn't use it on is holsters, sheathes, or anything that'll be in contact with oxidizable (rustable) metal.

The reason is that chrome tanned leather is made using chromium salts. Those salts are still present in small amounts even in the finished product and can damage the finish on metal. So, for something like a very nice pistol, or a custom knife, it'd be a bad thing to have a holster or sheath that eats the metal.

Also, chrome tanned leather does not mold, carve, stamp, etc. as well. For something like a jacket or a purse, that's okay. It isn't unusual to see a nice piece of veg tan with a beautiful carving sewn onto chrome tan in the case of a purse.

TwinOaks Thanks, now I understand why.

I would also say that in speaking with a manager of a leather shop in Rome in a certain opportunity he said "there are around a lot of mixed tan skins, industries mix vegetable and chrome ...."

I will ask more explanations and I will keep you informed

I also want to say that I am organizing an introductory course in leather work for youth (Boy Scouts) and would like to use one of those kits by TL for beginners but I would ask if you know and can tell me where I can get (on the internet)

a "program type " to divide classes and arguments in order to best achieve this goal.

I am enclosing pictures of a couple of works.... leather bags for motorcycles (the origin of my first question)

post-17251-019633100 1290839251_thumb.jp

post-17251-093022500 1290839274_thumb.jp

post-17251-062476800 1290839440_thumb.jp

post-17251-071178900 1290839466_thumb.jp