Sign in to follow this  
katsass

Vinagroon Question

I've read all I can find on vinegaroon, and the one thing I have not seen addressed is the acid level of the vinegar. I can buy 4% or 5% acid level vinegar. I don't know, but I bought 5% vinegar on the thought that the greater acid level would work it's chemistry on the steel wool in a more efficient manner. Any ideas?? Mike

Edited by katsass

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't know what % I bought- it's the cheapest gallon jug walmart had. Pour into brew jar, add steel wool, and a handful of rusted nails, let set for 8 months (so far, and with the occasional dip).

I think I may be a little rusty on chemistry but 5 would be less acidic then 4, 7 is the middle and 1 is the most acid, 14 is the most basic.

Not that I think it would matter much. Either one should work just fine.

I use the large plastic coffee jugs (like folgers) and fill that mostly full. I will add one full steel wool section to this. After about a week or two (faster if its warmer) it will be able to start making stuff black. Actually after two weeks the steel wool is completely dissolved. I leave mine on the dishwasher so the heat cycle warms it up every other day when I do dishes. Of course I am single so I can still get away with this lol.

I think I may be a little rusty on chemistry but 5 would be less acidic then 4, 7 is the middle and 1 is the most acid, 14 is the most basic.

Not that I think it would matter much. Either one should work just fine.

I use the large plastic coffee jugs (like folgers) and fill that mostly full. I will add one full steel wool section to this. After about a week or two (faster if its warmer) it will be able to start making stuff black. Actually after two weeks the steel wool is completely dissolved. I leave mine on the dishwasher so the heat cycle warms it up every other day when I do dishes. Of course I am single so I can still get away with this lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Max, I don't think they are showing pH level on the label of vinegar, they are showing concentration levels of either 4% or 5% of (I think) acetic acid. Although, I'll bet my chemistry is probably older than yours, as I remember my chem teacher wore a dark robe and whispered incantations. Of course they may have been attempted spells pointed in my direction as I damn near blew up the lab a couple of times; once when making hydrogen and once attempting a demonstration of a dust explosion. In my defence I only broke one overhead light fixture and just a few pieces of glass.

My jug is stuffed with two freshly torched 0000 steel wool pads cut into narrow strips and stuffed into a gallon jug of vinegar and stuck away on a shelf in my small shop...heated by the spring sun. Today it'll hit about 80 degrees outside and over 90 in the shop, if I leave the door shut. Mike

Edited by katsass

Sounds great Mike, just dont forget a couple of little vent holes so you dont repeat chemistry class.

Sounds great Mike, just dont forget a couple of little vent holes so you dont repeat chemistry class.

I used a rubber band to hold a piece of cheese cloth over the open top........just so strange things don't happen. Mike