Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Round braid question?

I have noticed that when I do a 6 or 8 plait round braid without a core it comes out more square than round. Is this to be expected or do I need to adjust my technique?

Mike

6 will square with out a core of some sort.

Edited by Opagon

Depending on what sequence you are using 6 will either turn out round or half round, I think half round is U1,O2 or U2,O1 and round is U1,O1,U1. Without a core 8 plait U2,O2 will turn out square, where U1,O1,U1,O1 will turn out round.

Hope that isn't confusing,

Rob

Almost all of your braiding will turn out square if not braided around a core. 8 plait = 2 strands X 4 = 4 sides or square. 12 plait = 3 strands X 4 etc. rolling your braiding between two boards, pounding with a hammer, or pulling through a rounder are ways to take the corners of your square braiding and roll them over to make things round. All of these will "stretch" your braid with pounding doing it the least. If you roll it between boards it is better to have some pull on the length as you roll but this may put a spiral in. The Dorrances pounded their braiding to round it. Takes a while with a 60' - 70' ft. reata! Duff Severe always pulled his through a rein rounder. I've tried them all and pull most of my stuff through a rounder but you really have to make sure your rawhide is cased properly or you will distort the strands and ruin the project. Also your braiding has to be very tight over a core or it will slide and stretch and leave gaps! But, if it was easy everybody would be doing it because it makes you COOL!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Lively Up yourself, and don't be no drag!
Bob Marley - Lively Up

Do a little research on the difference between singlediamond and four seam work. A lot of multi strand work is plaited using 4 seam method which is 4 sided. Single diamond is o1 u1 along each side and will result in a 'rounder' braid without a core. But single diamond takes longer and is a bit stiffer. I'm far from an expert so that's the reason I suggested doing a little research. I roll my braids between boards and that helps a lot.

Keep on Smilin

Jim