Greetings....

I am looking for black t-nuts. The sources that I typically use do not stock this item...anyone have a source for pre-blackened (treated) t nuts?

thanks in advance. I would have called some of you but I can never get off the phone so this will allow me to get back to work!

Take care

Hey Brock. So far I have had no luck whatsoever trying to track down a source for these. Basically, I was told that I have to order a few thousand and have them refinished. I had to go that route with my belt buckles in the end, so I guess I will have to give in and do it with the t-nuts too. What size/type t-nuts do you usually use? If this thread doesn't yield any results, maybe we could split an order.

Hey Jeff, when I get back to the states I'd be glad to split an order for hardware with you.

Best,

Rhome

Hey Jeff, when I get back to the states I'd be glad to split an order for hardware with you.

Best,

Rhome

yea...splitting an order is a possibility, but I've had a few conversations with folks at Duracoat today and that is a possibility if I get the details finalized. The key is despite a no-bake approach, the nut has to be sandblasted. I have a couple contacts and I will see if they will teach me the process and allow me to come in and do that work....from that point it is simply airbrushing the coating onto the nuts and allowing to dry. Not a solution for volume, but may be an alternative if the custom order requirement is too large.

Jeff....why don't you check on your end and we can compare notes next week.

Brock

What are T-nuts and what are they used for?

ArtS

What are T-nuts and what are they used for?

ArtS

t-nuts

Art,

They're used for retention devices on holsters and mag pouches, to attached scabbards to belt loops, holsters to belts, etc. The black ones I've got appear to have been painted and they look pretty shodding. I have no idea of their source of origin. Y'all let me know if you're going to gang order as I'm interested.

Bill

Edited by Billsotx

ArtS,

t-nuts are basically like the female half of a chicago screw with barbs tunrned in to the leather so they don't rotate. I use them to back retention screws on my magazine holders and to secure loops on my inside-the-waisteband holsters. The top two pictures on the right on this page show how I use them for the mag holders.

Rhome,

when do you plan to get back to the states?

Brock,

I'll check things out on my end and see what it would cost and how long it would take to have some coated. On the duracoat issue, I have used it to refinsh firearms for a couple years now. It's decent stuff, but it would be a real pain in the butt to apply it to sever hundred t-nuts. I think I would be willing to have some coated before I tried that.

Brock,

I'll check things out on my end and see what it would cost and how long it would take to have some coated. On the duracoat issue, I have used it to refinsh firearms for a couple years now. It's decent stuff, but it would be a real pain in the butt to apply it to sever hundred t-nuts. I think I would be willing to have some coated before I tried that.

yea...the more I think about it tonight the idea of us getting together for a massive order and spitting it among ourselves seems to be the best way to accomplish this task. Tell you what, I will also make some calls to some folks I encountered some months ago who said they can do this kind of thing and call you with what I find out.....then we can see which deal is best and work out the details and see who wants to join in the party.

Sounds good to me. I'll get back to you nex week with some quotes if I don't hear from you sooner.

Jeff, with any luck I'll be back stateside late Nov., early Dec. I've tried the duracoat finish among others and they will wear off but applying it to the T nut is a great idea as it is a stationary object and not exposed to high use. You can buy a small bead blaster from Harbor freight and do your own application. Never did think to try that, good thinking, Thanks for the idea !

- Rhome

Hi

The black t-nuts that are used by all, have a black-oxide finish on them. The t-nuts start out being steel (not sure if they are galvanized or not). Process is similar to gun blueing.

Most common size is 8 x 32. The most economical way to do it is in bulk.

Thanks for the info. I've seen those used in wood before.

Why do you use the screw instead of just using a rivet or sewing it down the middle?

Thanks,

Art

Thanks for the info. I've seen those used in wood before.

Why do you use the screw instead of just using a rivet or sewing it down the middle?

Thanks,

Art

With the screw, you can adjust the tension to your preference, or even use more than one type of magazine. For the IWB holsters, you can replace the loops with different colors or sizes depending on which belt you are planning to use.

McMaster has the t-nuts, but not in black.

you could have them black oxided.

Ok. I see now. Thanks.

ArtS

With the screw, you can adjust the tension to your preference, or even use more than one type of magazine. For the IWB holsters, you can replace the loops with different colors or sizes depending on which belt you are planning to use.

Hi

The black t-nuts that are used by all, have a black-oxide finish on them. The t-nuts start out being steel (not sure if they are galvanized or not). Process is similar to gun blueing.

Most common size is 8 x 32. The most economical way to do it is in bulk.

Hmm, makes me have an idea. Unfortunately I cannot do any hot blueing here ( actually I haven't tried to purchase the chemicals needed), but I can parkerize. Although I don't intend on Parking T-nuts (won't be good for smoothness of the threads inside), I think I might be able to get a batch hot blued by some folks on a gunsmithing forum. I'm going to poke around a bit, see what I can find. If all else fails, I might push forward on hotblueing. You guys back in the States, give cold bluing a shot, it'd be fairly easy (overall). The hard part is hanging onto the little pieces and wiping each one :head_hurts_kr:

Would you guys be interested in putting in an order for a T-nuts and have them shipped to be refinished, then distributed to each? I can make a post now and see if its a job someone is willing to take.

Edit: Duracoating T-Nuts sounds like horror to me lol Instead of beadblasting each one, is it possible to drop them into a tumbler with some grit? May be a more expedient and less painful way to rough up the surface to take any coating.

Also speaking of Duracoat, anyone have a Sherwin Williams store nearby? If so, look for "Polane-T" (Polane-S will work as well). You'll need some catalyst and a special reducer too. The prices are such IIRC that it'd be more likely with a group by. But at that point, you might as well send off for refinishing unless you're already supplied and stocked to do it yourself.

Edited by Shorts

If you tumble those T-nuts you will also rough up the threads which I don't think you want to do. Even with media or sandblasting you would have to be careful not to damage the threads. Just something to think about.......maybe look into powdercoating??????

Edited by Jeffzilla

Powder coating adds too much thickness in the threads, and phosphate or black oxide is not durable enough. Hot bluing would be ok if it weren't for the zinc plating that these come in (which will inhibit the blueing process, I believe). I have some guys fairly local that due some sort of black zinc coating that I think will work. I have to make some calls tomorrow and see.

Powder coating adds too much thickness in the threads, and phosphate or black oxide is not durable enough. Hot bluing would be ok if it weren't for the zinc plating that these come in (which will inhibit the blueing process, I believe). I have some guys fairly local that due some sort of black zinc coating that I think will work. I have to make some calls tomorrow and see.

Hmm ok.

Looking around, Birchwood Casey makes some products that will blacken zincs. May be worth a shot and something to have onhand. I've used their cold blue to restore an old shotgun of dad's.

Definitely worth loking into, then. I haven't had the best luck with their cold blueing or brass black, though. It tends to wear off somewhat easily in my experience.

Definitely worth loking into, then. I haven't had the best luck with their cold blueing or brass black, though. It tends to wear off somewhat easily in my experience.

I agree....neither product works well in my experience. I spoke with Jeff today and advised him of a company marketing a DIY kit for blackening parts. I spoke with them and have arranged to send him some t-nuts in an effort to see which of their products works the best. I will keep everyone up to date. The logistics of a large scale purchase to meet the demands of large companies offering the service may well be cost prohibitive and thus the idea of the home brew. At this time the average investment of the chemicals would be around $200....give or take a bit depending on what the company says we need for these parts.

Why don't ya'll take a minute (and a breather) and think about who uses the blackened t-nuts in the manufacturing of their holsters. Then contact them and ask them where they get them from. You might be able to buy them direct from that manufacturer or they may turn you on to where they get them from.... It's really that simple.

Staying tuned B)

Brock, will this DIY kit be for multiple types of metal? McMaster has several varieties of Tnuts. Which and why? I'll keep looking around.

Edited by Shorts

Why don't ya'll take a minute (and a breather) and think about who uses the blackened t-nuts in the manufacturing of their holsters. Then contact them and ask them where they get them from. You might be able to buy them direct from that manufacturer or they may turn you on to where they get them from.... It's really that simple.

K-man, that's the first idea I had, but I never found anyone that would share a source with me. I even asked the folks on the pistolsmith forum quite a while back with no luck. If you have a source we sure would appreciate it.