I made my wife a belt for Christmas and used super sheen as a glossy finish and it is peeling off. Is this normal? Is there another gloss finish that I can put on it instead that will not crack and peel off?

Nobody has any suggestions?

I use either RTC by Bee Natural (available direct or through Hide Crafters) or Clear Lac (avaliable through Springfield leather). If I am using the RTC, I will lightly wet my leather, so it will obsorb evenly and slower. Has worked for me. I still have Super Sheen, but haven't used it since I found RTC. My opinion

Good luck

WV

I just thought of something. Did you use the liquid and apply with sheep wool or spray? I have had less success with the spray and it has formed cracks? Might be something to think about.

Sorry

I use either RTC by Bee Natural (available direct or through Hide Crafters) or Clear Lac (avaliable through Springfield leather). If I am using the RTC, I will lightly wet my leather, so it will obsorb evenly and slower. Has worked for me. I still have Super Sheen, but haven't used it since I found RTC. My opinion

Good luck

WV

I just thought of something. Did you use the liquid and apply with sheep wool or spray? I have had less success with the spray and it has formed cracks? Might be something to think about.

Sorry

I'll have to look those two products up.

I used the liquid and applied with with wool. I just thought of something while reading your post, I may have applied too thick. Would that have caused this?

Tom, I use the LeatherSheen from Feibings quite a bit. It sounds like it might be too heavy. I apply with a sponge in two light layers and haven't had a cracking or peeling problem. One thing that also can cause peeling is using a conditioner on the leather and then applying the finish while some is still on the surface. It is usually not so much a problem with the liquids like Lexol, olive oil, of neatsfoot oil applied in moderation, but can be an issue with paste conditioners.

Tom, I use the LeatherSheen from Feibings quite a bit. It sounds like it might be too heavy. I apply with a sponge in two light layers and haven't had a cracking or peeling problem. One thing that also can cause peeling is using a conditioner on the leather and then applying the finish while some is still on the surface. It is usually not so much a problem with the liquids like Lexol, olive oil, of neatsfoot oil applied in moderation, but can be an issue with paste conditioners.

Thanks Bruce. I believe that I put it on too heavy. I dyed it black and then used neatsfoot oil. I let both sit overnight before going to the next step.

I agree with Bruce, but wanted to add a tip. Always try to light buff or wipe the previous coating to make sure you remove any residue that did not prenetrate into the pores thereby sitting on top. When you apply the next coat, it will sit on top of the unabsorbed coating and will eventually crack when pressure or movement is applied.

What are your thoughts Bruce?

I agree with Bruce, but wanted to add a tip. Always try to light buff or wipe the previous coating to make sure you remove any residue that did not prenetrate into the pores thereby sitting on top. When you apply the next coat, it will sit on top of the unabsorbed coating and will eventually crack when pressure or movement is applied.

What are your thoughts Bruce?

Thanks King. I'm sure that's what I did on this belt. I made my son a belt at the same time and it didn't do that, but I didn't put as much on. I wanted a real high gloss on my wife's belt. I just got over zealous with it.

My next question is then, how do I remove the old super sheen so that I can redo it with either the super sheen or something new?

Ooooh good one. I will have to leave that one for someone else since I do not have any experience for such an act. I usually just remake the item again.

Good luck.

Ooooh good one. I will have to leave that one for someone else since I do not have any experience for such an act. I usually just remake the item again.

Good luck.

Thanks. I hope I can strip it and redo without too much problem.

A bump for some help. HELP. I'm looking for some guidance to remove super sheen so that I can refinish either with super sheen again (lighter coats this time) or something different.

Anyone have any ideas?

i can't help with stripping off any super sheen, tom. as a matter of fact, i had the same thing happen to me - it peeled off of the belt. so, now i'm using atom wax and buffing it to a nice sheen. you might want to consider using that instead. i like the finish a bit better.

It depends on what is underneath the Super Shene. I have used both alcohol and De-glazer, but I would try a test piece first. Have you tried to just buff off the loose Super Shene?

Thanks. I think that I may be able to peel what's left off the belt. It's dyed black with Fiebing's USMC black and then a couple coats of neatsfoot. I might try the Leather Sheen or RTC instead of the super sheen this time around.

I made my wife a belt for Christmas and used super sheen as a glossy finish and it is peeling off. Is this normal? Is there another gloss finish that I can put on it instead that will not crack and peel off?

Anything I want a high gloss and durable finish I use Resolene. It's pretty foolproof I think. I just wet a paintbrush and paint it on.