Constructive criticism always welcome!

I put this project off for a while waiting for the funds to buy a belt clip and eventually just gave in. Even then I had different plans for the belt attachment but cut my template as a left-handed holster.

The retention is great, also. It even almost has an audible -click- when the gun goes in.

I'm proud of it, though. I made the design by tracing the gun on a manilla folder and adjusting as needed and added a slight camber to the holster.

This was my first time trying wet molding, also.

Gun was cleared prior to pictures being taken. Beretta px4 storm 9mm subcompact. I like it..it's got a good weight to it.

post-64746-0-06837000-1448730520_thumb.j

post-64746-0-64702200-1448730544_thumb.j

post-64746-0-21933500-1448730559_thumb.j

post-64746-0-82806600-1448730571_thumb.j

Overall I like it. good detail on the wet molding but I'm curious about the reasoning behind the thread pattern under the trigger guard.

I wasn't to sure about keeping that thread pattern honestly. I did the normal stitching and had some thread left so I started to do it thinking "what if I..."..and I wasn't sure where to tie the knot at for the threading. Since it was a first try at making one I figured it couldn't hurt to experiment but there isn't any functional purpose to it since the leather is glued with contact cement. Do you think it looks tacky? I don't see myself doing it again. Just wondering.

Thanks for the response!

I'd lose the crazy X pattern thread personally and trim the edge down more but that's a personal thing, you may find that people like the pattern because it's different. Overall I'd say you did pretty good for a first holster. Keep at it, they get easier as you do more of them. Holsters are about my biggest seller now, seems like the minute people find out you can make them they start asking about whether or not you can build one for their particular gun. I've already started amassing an arsenal of Blueguns, I buy them if the gun is popular and I think I may be able to use it more than once. Otherwise I give the customer the option of bringing me the gun for the design and molding phases or paying for the bluegun themselves.

Stu

Thanks! Yeah I have a coworker wanting a holster for his springfield and a friend of mine wanting one for his hipoint. I told them I'd need the gun though since I don't have the dummy guns. I'm not sure if I'm good enough to charge money for anything yet but I also won't do anything for free. It's a tough spot.

I wasn't to sure about keeping that thread pattern honestly. I did the normal stitching and had some thread left so I started to do it thinking "what if I..."..and I wasn't sure where to tie the knot at for the threading. Since it was a first try at making one I figured it couldn't hurt to experiment but there isn't any functional purpose to it since the leather is glued with contact cement. Do you think it looks tacky? I don't see myself doing it again. Just wondering.

Thanks for the response!

Just back stitch it 3 stitches and cut off flush. No need for knot

Edited by jlrowe

Thanks! Yeah I have a coworker wanting a holster for his springfield and a friend of mine wanting one for his hipoint. I told them I'd need the gun though since I don't have the dummy guns. I'm not sure if I'm good enough to charge money for anything yet but I also won't do anything for free. It's a tough spot.

Just do like i did when i first started or made something different for first time. Just tell them you will only charge them for the cost of materials to do it.(leather, thread, snaps, rivets, dyes, top coat etc.) Works out good and you get the practice without being out money.

Just do like i did when i first started or made something different for first time. Just tell them you will only charge them for the cost of materials to do it.(leather, thread, snaps, rivets, dyes, top coat etc.) Works out good and you get the practice without being out money.

I second that, it's a good way to practice. The trade off is that when you're ready to start charging people will questions the dramatic increase in price. I've done holsters where I've quote to little on the job then the guy that I built if for went and told someone else what he paid and when they want the same holster they want to know why he paid less. Kind of a double edged sword that is. Most people understand when you explain it but I had one guy really try to to beat me up on the price, guess he expected me to take a loss on the job. Those kind of people I turn the job down.

Stu

Coupla things. I wouldn't trust that stitch line on the belt loop. Lotsa stress there. Maybe make it integral with a reinforcement.

Also, I don't trust just glue to hold leather together. It's there just to keep the leather in position while you work on it.

I'd run the stitch line back up along the outer edge.

This is an inside the waistband holster but it kinda shows what I'm blathering about.

shorty1_zps8d0d8477.jpg

I'm only beginning my holster journeys. Learning from these masters here on leatherorker.net as I go.

But I like your relitively unique design, it all goes together somehow.

Pricing for learning as is mentioned is a good idea !

Stay with it ! We all get better as we go. --- Wild Bill46