Tallbald

First Time Commercial Black Dye User. After It Dries...what?

I've been a learning leather crafter for about 3 years. Since starting, I have always used vinegaroon for black coloring, followed by a baking soda neutralizing bath and clear rinse. Then I'd warm the item (usually a holster) and work pure neatsfoot oil into it, followed by a topcoat of a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and NFO and a buff.

Tonight for the very first time I used reduced black Fiebings solvent dye to dip dye an in-the-waistband holster for my son. Right now the holster is drying in the hobby room hanging under a fan on a hook. But now I'm a little unsure how to finish the holster. I certainly do not want any rub-off that would ruin clothing.

* Do I wait a full day then scrub the holster with an old clean dish towel to remove any surface solids?

* I need to soften the holster and planned to work neatsfoot oil into it. Will this remove the black dye? Can I use Resolene or the Super Shene as a topcoat over NFO?

* For a topcoat, I have these on hand: Resolene. Eco-Flo Super Shene. My usual 50/50 soft waxy mix of beeswax and neatsfoot oil. Of these what's the best choice for a topcoat over Fiebing's black dye? I don't want the finish to crack or scratch (that's why I always used the beeswax/NFO mix on my 'rooned projects).

I did a search on the forums and there's so much information I'm having trouble narrowing down a technique to use tomorrow. Like everyone else's projects I have a fair amount of time in the holster, I want my son to be proud of it and don't want to mess up this late in the game.

Thanks so very much. Don.

For me, no more diluted dye. I have a couple of pieces of cardboard on the table. After two coats of NFO. I use Leather Sheen by Fieblings. When I run out, I will go to Mop & Glo.

After dye has dried rub the holster with a cloth to get excess pigment off. Rub on Nieats Foot oil let sit (I let it sit overnight), then rub again until you are not seeing rub off. If you use Resolene I reccomend cut 50/50 with water and build up your coats. I don't get excited about acrylics, I personaly like the more natural finishes like you bees wax mix, Skidmores, Montans Pitch blend etc. They all work just fine on black.

Camano ridge summed up my comments and experience with black dye.

I read a lot of horror stories about using black dye but following the good advice I read on this forum I've been extremely satisfied with my results.

Good luck!