mrtreat32

Barbour Thread Types

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/273

If you scroll down the page half way..is this the same Barbour thread that people use for sewing leather? I called them and said they have never had anyone ask about using it for leather and said its made for book binding.

I want to try Barbour thread out but Im having a tough time finding it online. One site offers it in much larger spools for $50 but I want to try a smaller amount before I commit to that size.

Not to mention I keep coming across different labels on the thread so Im not sure if they make different grades of the stuff.

thanks

That is the same thread as Barbour. I use the 18/3 linen thread myself and quite like it. You will have to wax it up with some beeswax yourself, mind you. :)

That is the same thread as Barbour. I use the 18/3 linen thread myself and quite like it. You will have to wax it up with some beeswax yourself, mind you. :)

thanks. thats the size I was going to try. Im doing mostly 9spi so hoping it looks good with that.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=43_60_62

the Barbour on this site is a red box and it doesn't list sizes like 18/3 etc. Its the same thing just different packaging?

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been busy here with some other stuff.

I don't know that red box at all, as the only Barbour that I know use is the "normal" wrapping of Barbour. It seems like there are more companies that are making the Barbour thread. Just take a look at AbbeyEngland's Barbour:
http://abbeyengland.com/Store/tabid/77/CategoryID/202/Category2ID/109/Level/2/ProductID/68749/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

Here it is stated that it is Coats / Barbour thread. So from the get go, it looks like Barbour is making their own in Ireland, then Coats is making their version of the Barbour with Campbell-Randall doing the same. As to if they are all one and the same I can't say but maybe someone more knowledgeable may be able to answer this. :)

Barbour's is now owned by Coats, which is an international company "with manufacturing plants in over 70 locations and sales and distribution in many more."

Original Barbour's used Irish linen, but the plant closed in 2006 (LINK). Current production is multi-national from harvesting the flax to finished thread.

The "Red Hand" is a North American trademark, sold SOFT (untreated). This is what we get from Coats today, in the same red box but made in USA.

Coats also offers "Yellow Label", but I have not seen it offered in North America. I assume this is common in Europe.

Well, there we go! Thanks for setting things straight. :)