TammyJam

Buying Pre-Dyed Leather

Hello all, I'm new to leather and i had a few questions (forgive me if my leather lingo is incorrect). So I wanted to purchase leather in different colors. Probably purple, black, yellow and white. I tried searching on the Internet for possible suppliers and can't seem to fid anyone who sells in these colors. I wanted to purchase in small quantity to make bracelets. Do they not carry these colors most of the time and it's something you would have to dye yourself to obtain the different colors? Only thing I can find were natural tanned cowhide leathers. I heard they are good for dyeing, but I'm not sure if I they sell pre-dyed leathers in the colors I'm looking for or if I should dye them myself. I'm just afraid if I dye them myself the leather will be rubbing off on the skin of my future customers that will be purchasing the bracelets from me. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated!!!

Hello all, I'm new to leather and i had a few questions (forgive me if my leather lingo is incorrect). So I wanted to purchase leather in different colors. Probably purple, black, yellow and white. I tried searching on the Internet for possible suppliers and can't seem to fid anyone who sells in these colors. I wanted to purchase in small quantity to make bracelets. Do they not carry these colors most of the time and it's something you would have to dye yourself to obtain the different colors? Only thing I can find were natural tanned cowhide leathers. I heard they are good for dyeing, but I'm not sure if I they sell pre-dyed leathers in the colors I'm looking for or if I should dye them myself. I'm just afraid if I dye them myself the leather will be rubbing off on the skin of my future customers that will be purchasing the bracelets from me. Any info or tips will be greatly appreciated!!!

I can't say about thin chrome tanned leather - it could be folded and sewn, but the natural tanned cowhide you were talking about could be dyed. The best result gives Fiebing's Pro Oil line of dyes with Super Shene (glossy), Satin Shene (sating finish) on outside and Resolene on inside.

Details you can find here by search on finishing leather belts inside, wrist watch bands, dog collars. I don't do these items, sorry.

Yellow color will darken with time when leather is exposed to the sun, and white color on leather is very tricky to get.

All kinds of leather could be bought at Tandy stores (TandyLeatherFactory) all small pieces on online auction.

Hope that helps.