Sign in to follow this  
Nightwolf

My First Armor Set

Working on making my first set of Leather armor for my wife to wear at Renfest this year. I have started drawing out the patterns and cutting paper replicas to double check sizing but I have a few questions of anyone knowledgable on armor making.

None of the armor is hardened.

The bracers will be in 3 over lapping sections (its not meant to bend at segments), and will lace up.

- Any advice on what size rivets to use, or how far to overlap the leather?

- How far apart do you recommend spacing the grommets? (down the side of the leather, every 3/4 inch? every inch?)

What do you use to lace up your bracers? Shoestring? 550 Paracord? something else entirely?

The same question will apply for the leather corsette.

Has anyone worked with attaching fur trim to leather? Any advice, pointing towards books, videos or how too would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your assitance.

My advice on armor for show/ren faire is to really consider comfort when designing as you will be wearing these items all day. My experience with bracers has been that straps with buckles are much more comfortable than laces. Laces are totally fine but the fit tends to change throughout the day and may require retying. When I make laced bracers I space the holes one inch apart and do not use any grommets. Grommets would really just be for looks. The same goes for the rivets. Use the size that compliments the design. Depending on the thickness of your leather, you may have limited choices for rivets. They make some really cool small rivets now but they are so short their usefulness is limited. I normally use some thick leather laces if I dont use buckles. Not lace made for decorative lacing but lace that has been cut from a piece of leather. Its thick and can stand up to pulling. Paracord is a great choice for functionality if you dont care about "period" look.

Thank you Jason, I will make that modification to use buckles instead. My wife is more about comfort, and you know if she isnt happy, it wont be a fun day.

Other than Tandy, any online stores (or ones in Austin, since I am in San Antonio) that sell decorative rivets that you have used, or would recommend?

Make sure on your bracers that you pattern them for comfort of movement, especially around the wrist. I see too many that end up digging into the back of the wearer's hand, and that gets sore after a while.

Make sure on your bracers that you pattern them for comfort of movement, especially around the wrist. I see too many that end up digging into the back of the wearer's hand, and that gets sore after a while.

Thank you for the input, the bracers dont extend far enough to hinder wrist or elbow movement. I have the pattern laid out now, just need to order the hardware, and cut out the leather. Perhaps I should post the pattern up here first for input.