RunningRoan

Weaver Heritage Footpress Machine For Setting Spots

Anyone have a Weaver Heritage footpress that they use to set spots (not rivets, the decorative spots with the two prongs)? Have you ever had a problem with it? I think mine is possessed...

Anyone have a Weaver Heritage footpress that they use to set spots (not rivets, the decorative spots with the two prongs)? Have you ever had a problem with it? I think mine is possessed...

What do you think is wrong with you machine? A little more information may help solve your problem. is it coming out of adjustment? or is it floating in mid air? (lol possessed get it ? sorry )

I'll check here in the am for your response.

I hope I can help,

Al.

What do you think is wrong with you machine? A little more information may help solve your problem. is it coming out of adjustment? or is it floating in mid air? (lol possessed get it ? sorry )

I'll check here in the am for your response.

I hope I can help,

Al.

I guess more information would have been helpful, sorry! I use this machine for spot setting only and use the fancy spot setter attachment with the raceway. My problem: the first two spot setter attachments I had both broke. Both had the same problem. There's a little wire "spring" that holds the next spot-to-be-set in place and it snapped. The current spot setter attachment I have right now (my 3rd) started bending spots today. I had to pull out and replace about 50% of all the spots I tried to set today. Seriously, setting them by hand is faster and less damaging (everytime I pull a bad spot off, it damages the leather a little bit). My last spot setters started bending spots right before the springs broke. Weaver knows there is a problem with these spot setter attachments and they have replaced them no-questions-asked every time, but I'm 5 business days away from Weaver leather for shipping, so when a part breaks, I'm down for a week. I use this machine every day...I can't have it down for a week. I've only owned this machine since mid-April of this year and I'm already on my 3rd spot setter attachment which now needs to be replaced with a 4th. This machine has been down A LOT...too much.

Is anyone else having this issue? Weaver tells me that they're working on developing a new/better part. I'm waiting patiently :) I never thought I'd be going through spot setters like this. I keep thinking I should spend an extra $200 to buy an extra one to have on hand, but then I think "this is the last one that will break, surely this won't keep happening"...but it does!

I'd like to get the riveting attachment for it, but I'm half temped to sell this machine and buy something else that won't keep breaking down!

Are we talking about part number 65-6522 through 65-6525 on page 297?

http://www.leathersupply.com/downloads/catalog/Machinery&Equipment.pdf

if so I have never seen or used that particular set up.

It seems to me that if the spring that holds the spot in place is breaking then finding a better holder may be the answer.

My machines use a vacuum to hold the spot in the upper die and are hand loaded one at a time.

While loading one spot at a time may seem like a time consuming chore I can expect consistent results.

This being said.... How to move forward and get back to spot setting?

You said:

"The current spot setter attachment I have right now (my 3rd) started bending spots today."

Can you determine at what point are your spots bending?

Can you operate the machine without loading the raceway and load one spot at a time?

Would this prevent bending / damaging ?

Is it possible to use the setter without the broken spring?

If not why?

There have been times when my vacuum was not working properly so I used a bit of tape on the inside of the die to make a snug fit and back to work I went.

These may shed some light on the subject.

Hope this helps,

Al

Are we talking about part number 65-6522 through 65-6525 on page 297?

http://www.leathersu...y&Equipment.pdf

if so I have never seen or used that particular set up.

It seems to me that if the spring that holds the spot in place is breaking then finding a better holder may be the answer.

My machines use a vacuum to hold the spot in the upper die and are hand loaded one at a time.

While loading one spot at a time may seem like a time consuming chore I can expect consistent results.

This being said.... How to move forward and get back to spot setting?

You said:

"The current spot setter attachment I have right now (my 3rd) started bending spots today."

Can you determine at what point are your spots bending?

Can you operate the machine without loading the raceway and load one spot at a time?

Would this prevent bending / damaging ?

Is it possible to use the setter without the broken spring?

If not why?

There have been times when my vacuum was not working properly so I used a bit of tape on the inside of the die to make a snug fit and back to work I went.

These may shed some light on the subject.

Hope this helps,

Al

Yep, that is the set up on page 297.

I agree, they need to come up with a better setter. The wire spring is pretty small, but it needs to be flexible. The spring holds back the next spot to be set, then the driver comes down, catches the dot, bends the spring out of the way and forces the dot down the shaft toward the anvil. Without the spring, the dots just fall right out of the raceway, through the shaft and on to the ground. I tried just one dot at a time and they still bend over. Each spot setter works great when they're brand new, but it seems when the spring starts to get tired/worn out it doesn't hold the dot in the proper position anymore and the driver catches each dot off-center and sends them down the shaft cock-eyed...one prong hits the leather first, takes all the force and bends under without going through the leather. No good. And I can't repair the spring myself...it's tucked up inside the setter and you can't get to it.

After thinking about it overnight, I think I need to buy an extra setter for now. That will solve my immediate problem of loosing a week with this machine every month...

Anyone know of any other foot press type machines I might consider? I can't do the smaller ones you work with your arm...it needs to be a foot press.