Sign in to follow this  
Lars Andreas Fjetland

Linking Methods Of Leather

My name is Lars Fjetland and I am currently a student at Bergen National Academy of the Arts in Norway.

I am working on a project which evolves around the history of leather craft.

I am especially interested in the linking methods of leather (pictures attached)

I am trying to find out more about how this is done, and for how long this has been done.

Has this anything to do with native (Inuit, Sami, Native American) skills or techniques?

I would be eternally grateful if you could help me answer some of these questions!<

Lars

post-18994-001533400 1294936949_thumb.jp

post-18994-032731900 1294936953_thumb.jp

post-18994-041351500 1294936955_thumb.jp

post-18994-049355400 1294936957_thumb.jp

post-18994-040124100 1294936959_thumb.pn

I don't know the origin of this work, but I can tell you how it was done. You take a group of "o's" or modified "figure 8's" leather pieces and they are over lapped or threaded thru one another and folded and then a piece of lace or thong is woven thru to hold it in place. the tounge and billet ends appear to be riveted in place to lock it all together. My mother had a western floral purse with a shoulder strap created in this way back in the late 70's. These are very cool and unique belts, thanks for posting them.

After doing a little searching, I found that Tandy Leather Factory here in the USA, carries a link belt kit. This kit is simular in technique, but a more simpler design than those that you posted. Tracking the history of leather work can be nearly impossible to do it being a skill that was closely gaurded and passed down from one generation to the next. There is alot of speculation on tools and technique that is barely over a hundred years old, let alone a thousand or more. Good luck with your research.

Nevada