Steve75

Hello From The Sacramento Valley

I just got started in leatherwork. I got the deluxe leathercraft starter kit from Tandy as a birthday present from my Dad. He got the kit for me when I told him I really wanted to try my hand at leatherworking. While the kit has provided a fun start my interest lies in making western holsters and gun belts. I also plan on trying to make some concealment holsters.

Welcome to the forum

Welcome from the old grump; There is a pot-load of good holster makers on here, all willing to give you a hand when needed. A few suggestions before you really get going: First, get the book "How to make Holsters" by Al Stohlman. Most holster makers have an old beat-up copy laying around, mine was purchased in the early 60's.

Second, go to someone like Springfield Leather, they advertise on here (Google them) order a catalog and see what a TRUE leather supply outfit is like - there's more in the catalog than they can put on line, and they are easy to talk to and work with.

Finally, once you get going (this is what I tell all that I work with) "slow down and take your damned time", your work will benefit from slow, deliberate effort. Mike

Edited by katsass

Welcome from a former Kalifornian (Fairfield was my hometown). Used to go to the gun shows up your way all the time.

Welcome from the old grump; There is a pot-load of good holster makers on here, all willing to give you a hand when needed. A few suggestions before you really get going: First, get the book "How to make Holsters" by Al Stohlman. Most holster makers have an old beat-up copy laying around, mine was purchased in the early 60's.

Second, go to someone like Springfield Leather, they advertise on here (Google them) order a catalog and see what a TRUE leather supply outfit is like - there's more in the catalog than they can put on line, and they are easy to talk to and work with.

Finally, once you get going (this is what I tell all that I work with) "slow down and take your damned time", your work will benefit from slow, deliberate effort. Mike

Thanks for the advice, Mike.