rgerbitz

Saddle Makers in Illinois

Would anyone know of any saddlemakers that live in Northern Illinois, eastern Iowa, or southern Wisconsin that wouldn't mind someone stopping by from time to time to watch them build saddles and pester them with questions? I can read books and watch all the videos in the world things just don't seem to register with me till I see someone doing it.

Thanks for your time,

Rob Gerbitz

Hi Rob,

I dont know if you are a member of International Internet Leather Guild or not... www.######.net . The President, Ron Ross is a saddlemaker in Ohio. That much i do know. Sorry I am in Florida and the saddlemakers here won't share. I have tried!! Believe me i know what you are going through. I think i have every saddlemaking video and book there is. I finally broke down and went to an individual out of state....but that was only for 2 weeks. You cannot learn hardly anything in that amount of time!!!! Believe me!!!! I am working on it!!! I dont know if you have Bill Gomer, Cheney tapes, and Harry Adams book....these have helped me more than anything. I am working on my 2nd saddle....it is definitely a slow process by yourself!!! But I WILL DO IT....come hell or high water....!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to you.

Sandy

Ron Ross is located in Indiana. I don't know whether he takes students or not.

Johanna

Thanks Johanna...brain fart....for some reason I keep putting him in Ohio (sorry Ron). I dont think he does take on apprentices but he ...if anyone...would know of other saddlemakers in the area. I think he knows everyone! And is extremely knowledgeable...if i only he his brain!!!

Thanks,

Sandy

I've got the same question... But I'm from the west central part of Iowa. Near Omaha and Sioux City area. Have read till I'm blind on saddle making but there are just a few questions I have that I would like to ask in person and be able to have a few things demonstrated..

thanks all...

kelly

I feel the same frustration as you folks. I have went so far as to ask some saddle makers in my area but no one wants to train possible competition I guess. Maybe we should get a thread started of people looking for training/apprenticeships. That way we could post where we are and what kind of education we are looking for and wait for the experts to stop by and pick us up...

I've been looking for a saddle maker in Northwest GA to let me watch him build an all leather ground seat for quite a while now. It kind of irks me to hear people talk about disappearing crafts and, at the same time, to know that craftsmen don't want to pass on their knowledge.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, BUT, even if someone wants to help you out, time is money. Even if you stand there and don't say a word, you're taking up valuable time and space. Answering phones, talking to customers and paperwork take up more time than anyone wants to spend. It's hard enough to concentrate with the distractions that you have to take care of. Trying to talk and work at the same time, causes mistakes and cuts production in half probably.

How serious are you? Serious enough to quit your job and sweep floors for minimum wage and eat beans for a few years? That's what most of the people who's knowledge you want for free had to do.

Personally, I love talking to people who show the slightest interest in what I do, I can go on 'til I can't talk no more. The boss starts huffin' and puffin' and rolling her eyes, but I see it as public relations. Nine times out of ten you'll find me fixing a pile of thirty halters,twenty girths, or maybe putting rubber on reins or stretching boots (4 or 5 pair at a time). It's not fun most of the time, but there are the times when you get to make something nice and it turns out like you wanted or better, and then it is sublime. Oh, and there was the time I measured 75 women's legs for chaps in two days, but I have digressed more than enough already. Kevin

A few factors from where I sit. First off - Is there someone close by that can teach you what you want to learn? Some makers are not really good at teaching. Some are just too busy with maintaining their own production. Some just don't know but the way they were taught. Just because a guy makes saddles doesn't mean he can teach you how to put in an all leather groundseat, a strainer seat, a skirt rigging, plate, one piece fork and seat cover or other variations if he doesn't do them. There are some really good guys at doing each of these, and you may have to travel some to find the right guy who can teach it.

Classes - I did the saddle week at Sheridan a few years ago, and it is funny how many guys on this list did it that year. We all probably learned as much from each other as we did from the instructors. I got my entire money's worth when Don King stopped by and held court for a while during a break. A couple of special times spent around him, and that was one of them. There are classes at several shows. You can ask away. You may or may not do anything like the instructors, and may not after you leave. At least it makes you question what you think you know. The biggest thing I have learned in the last few years is how many different approaches there are to do things that seem to work.

The old "closed shop" mentality seems to have faded from the guys I visit and talk to. Yeah, they may not be telling me everything, but nobody has withheld the big stuff. You can pick stitches on a few skirt relines, then someone tells or shows you how to skin the topstitches before you pull the wool. You appreciate it that much more.

I am pretty lucky. I have had access to some old guys who can tell you how it used to be done, and on this list you can talk to some modern makers at the top of the game. Not everyone agrees and shouldn't. I am in an area kind of thick with saddlemakers on several levels. I have only ever had one guy totally refuse to tell me something, and that was pretty minor. I used to get a lot of telephone advice, pre-internet. I have had guys invite me to "come and spend a day, and I'll show ya how I do that". They have universally refused any money. Later I have either sent them a pair of monels, something I have that we talked about, or a gift certificate for a toolmaker. It has been worth that and more in every case.

I am lucky with my wife too. She is pretty tolerant of me visiting folks when we're traveling. Last spring we stopped by to see Clay Miller in Rapid City. He told me that I should really go visit Ken Nelson. About 4 hours later we left Ken's. We stopped by Keith Pommer's and looked at machinery and tools for a few hours last week. I always end up smarter after I have talked to Bob Douglas, too. Last week we were at a dance in Cody WY. We met Keith Seidel there and he invited us to his shop the next day. Had a very enjoyable visit that morning. Most all the people on these lists are pretty approachable, and some of the best talent in the country is right here.