johnggrg

Question About Tandy Pistol Caddy Pattern

I have the Tandy Pistol Caddy pattern and have a question for anyone who may have built one. The instructions call for a 24 inch gusset. There is a pattern for the gusset but doesn't say proper size of zipper to use. So wanted to know what is the correct size and type of zipper to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. John

Not sure what pattern you have,but for a zipper that size I would stick to brass and put it in a leather gusset. If the zipper ever wears out, it can be replaced without tearing up the case. I dont like nylon (or poly) zippers.

About anywhere you shop should have #5 zipper tape (and you'll want 'pulls', bottom stops, top stops). Aluminum available also, if the color matters. Hobby stores often carry pre-fab zippers in different lengths, but it's not worth my time to "hope" they have the right length.

Thank you for the reply. The gusset pattern that goes to it is 24 in long with a 23 in slit for the zipper. Do they sell 23 in zippers? I have never messed with a zipper before this would be a first. I have black zipper with 2 pulls on it that's 24 plus inches long. But brass would be the best?

I would like to hear from someone who may have made one of these to see what they used for it if possable. The pattern came in a pattern pack for holsters. If anyone can help me with this it would be a great help to me. I am stuck at this point and not sure how to procede from here. John

Also what to line it with to give it padding? John

Thank you for the reply. The gusset pattern that goes to it is 24 in long with a 23 in slit for the zipper. Do they sell 23 in zippers? I have never messed with a zipper before this would be a first. I have black zipper with 2 pulls on it that's 24 plus inches long. But brass would be the best?

I would like to hear from someone who may have made one of these to see what they used for it if possable. The pattern came in a pattern pack for holsters. If anyone can help me with this it would be a great help to me. I am stuck at this point and not sure how to procede from here. John

You'd buy a 24" zipper, then remove the teeth from a bit of each end - so the tape actually goes PAST the slot and gets stitched on the ends. I don't know that brass is "best", but it's what I like, and I can't say anything about your zipper, as I don't knw what you have.

I DO know the pattern you're referring to. Haven't made one of those in years. Simple enough, though. You can line with about anything you care to use. Shearling always a favorite (don't know why). You'll see them at times with chrome tanned pig lining, but this has been known to react with some gun finishes, so I've never personally tried to use it (plus, Ive always thought it was ugly, and doesn't offer any protection).

You'd buy a 24" zipper, then remove the teeth from a bit of each end - so the tape actually goes PAST the slot and gets stitched on the ends. I don't know that brass is "best", but it's what I like, and I can't say anything about your zipper, as I don't knw what you have.

I DO know the pattern you're referring to. Haven't made one of those in years. Simple enough, though. You can line with about anything you care to use. Shearling always a favorite (don't know why). You'll see them at times with chrome tanned pig lining, but this has been known to react with some gun finishes, so I've never personally tried to use it (plus, Ive always thought it was ugly, and doesn't offer any protection).

I have never messed with a zipper before. So I would remove the stops and tuck the ends under the leather gusset and sew them ends down? Another thing does it matter if it is an open end zipper or a closed end zipper? It seems like an easy thing to put together but a few things are unclear to me.

1. Size of zipper to use

2.where do you sew the linning in at? under the zipper? at the edge of the zipper? John

When I made my gun case

I used shearling as a liner. I glued it to the leather using DAP contact cement. I glued everything except for 2 inches around the perimeter.

20130917_133345_zps66044ec1.jpg

20130917_134959_zps201d768e.jpg

Then I sandwiched the zipper between the leather and the shearling

20130917_161153_zps62f083d9.jpg

I really like how it turned out, and I think I learned a lot in the process. The next one I make I will have a better idea on how to get the aesthetics right.

20130917_171516_zpsb5bf254c.jpg

Colt w Night. Thank you for sharring. That looks great. Would like to use shearling but would have to buy a whole hide to get a piece big enough. That would be perfect for the padding looks like at least 7/8 thick very nice. I would need a piece 14x14 to fit. But would more then likely need a whole hide to get that piece. Can't buy that right now but would be nice.Still not sure about the zipper thing. John

Yeah, that shearling was expensive. I think it was 80$. If I make another, I am going to try to use cotton badding/matting like they sell at the fabric store for making quilts. Then use either some pig or lambskin to do the lining. I know a few guys who use Flannel.

You might also try fabric or home decor supply stores for brass zipper by the yard. I can get zipper for $2/yard, and a box with two stops and two zipper pulls for a buck. I buy zipper a couple of yards at a time, and keep a couple of pulls and stops around. When I need a strong zipper, I just cut off what I need. Instructions for using zipper by the yard are online all over, as are instructions for shortening zippers, so if you want a colored zipper that's 23 inches, you can buy a bigger zipper and use it if you need to.

For shearling where you don't need to buy a whole hide, you might look into these links and see if any of what they have will work:

http://www.chichesterinc.com/SheepskinShearlingScrap.htm

http://springfieldleather.com/32947/Wool%2CPieces/

and for whole sheep hides, you might try http://www.theleatherguy.org/ (there is also an ebay store). The hides run around $45, plus shipping. No orange, but black, creams, browns, and grays are usually on hand.

Well I have some sheepskin fur to use on the inside but having some trouble figuring out how the Gusset goes in at one end.. It has a cut out at one end that seems to be the size of the zipper but the gusset is alot bigger. So if anyone has done this caddy before or has the pattern to look at can you tell me know how this attaches at the end I mentioned? It would be a great help. I really hate how these patterns are so vague in the instructions. Thank you. John.

Anyone??

I would use a zipper that is two inches too long on each end. Tuck the zipper between the liner and outter leather. Glue the end in so that it does not slip out. It will be impossible to overzip the end since it will hit the leather, but it will fully open when totally unzipped. Your sewing will simply end at the edge of the fold.

Does that make since? It does to me, but I wrote it.

Aaron

I would use a zipper that is two inches too long on each end. Tuck the zipper between the liner and outter leather. Glue the end in so that it does not slip out. It will be impossible to overzip the end since it will hit the leather, but it will fully open when totally unzipped. Your sewing will simply end at the edge of the fold.

Does that make since? It does to me, but I wrote it.

Aaron

Hi Aaron thanks that part I got. If you know the pattern I have. The bigger end of the caddy has a slit in the middle the size of the zipper. The gusset end is round whith the zipper slit in the center with a 1/2 inch at each end of the gusset.

Now I kmow the gusset gets sewed to the edge of the back and front all the way around. But when it comes to the bigger end. There is the slit. inthe middle at the.

So if the gusset is sewed to the edge all the way aound. How do you sew the end where the slit is?

If someone had the pattern they could see what I mean and may know how to sew that end of the gusset. John

Looking at this some more and realize I am not sure how this gusset goes in at all. This pattern came in a gun belt holster pattern pack. It is very common. I thought someone here may be able to shed some lite on this gusset issue. Now I am more confused on how it gets sewed in. If anyone hasit or has done it before can help it would be greatly appreciated. john

Does anybody have this pattern? I "really" need help with attaching the gusset please. Thank you. John

Seems like someone here would have made this with the gusset before. No one feel like sharing how the gusset goes in?? John

It seems no one can or will help with this question. Sorry to have asked. Thank you to those who did reply. Seems to be the new norm on this forum lately. I guess the real question is why have the forum at all. john

You are upset that no one has the pattern you are using? Seems to be a strange reason to get all panty bunched.

John if you look at all the topics you will find that there are hundreds of answers willingly given every day. You have asked for help it has been given some what indircetly. The stohlman books show how to install gussets. You can do a search on line I would bet that there is you tubes and other web sites then can give you some insight to doing gussets. Some times you just have to use your own brain and figure things out. This is the type of thing thatis not as popular as holsters wallets etc. Spo there may not be an overabundacne of people that have made a pistol case. I do have that pattern and will dig it up and see if I can see where you are stuck and will offer what assistance I can. However angry tants are not the best way to get assistance.

Scribe a line around the entire zipper gusset - on the grain side - about 5/16" in from the outside (3/8" won't hurt). Stitch yer zipper in like normal. \

Make a small mark on the center of each end of the gusset. End of a stylus will work - just a center mark.

Then wet the gusset leather,lay it on a table (or rock) grain side up, and use what you have (bone folder, spoon, butter knife, don't matter) to fold the edges up on the 5/16: line. Fold it up 90° all around the thing.

Make your case - carving, coloring, what.

Fold the case, line up the center marks on the case wth the center marks on the gusset, and stitch.

As designed, that case will not lay flat when open. You'll 'booger' it if you try to lay it out open. Slide the pistol in and zip the case shut.

John, I did find tat pattern, the instructions are vauge in that all they say is to glue the gusset to the caddy flesh side to flesh. Which if you lined up the center marks would mean that you glue at the edge of the gusset and the caddy first one side then the other. JLSleather's way will simplify thing for you in that you are basicaly forming a U or channel with the guset. Did you have a more specific question or problem that you encountered?