Hey all,

Thought I'd share a really easy thing to make if you only have an 8 inch square piece left and have no clue what to make with it: A valet tray!

Fun and easy to make if you need a stocking stuffer idea this Christmas. It's just a square piece that I cut slots into at two opposing sides. Added snaps into the corners so it can be flat for travel and packing in a suitcase.

The leather here is about 8-9oz. Thinner than that it might not hold shape as well but experiment away. I'd love to see what you guys come up with. Have fun!

Andy

post-8183-0-62907000-1450392625_thumb.jppost-8183-0-68219200-1450392746_thumb.jp

Edited by AndyL1

Here is my version. I made this about 3 years ago. It is made from 6/7 oz Hermann oak, Fiebings tan dye, lined with ...I forget - some scrap I had lying around, and as for lighter weight leather, it holds up just fine.

post-32363-0-11273000-1450398507_thumb.j

Karina

Here is my version. I made this about 3 years ago. It is made from 6/7 oz Hermann oak, Fiebings tan dye, lined with ...I forget - some scrap I had lying around, and as for lighter weight leather, it holds up just fine.

attachicon.gifvalet-tray1.jpg

Karina

That looks really cool! I like the lining, I may have lined mine but I like the suede-y finish this leather has to it. Good job!

That looks really cool! I like the lining, I may have lined mine but I like the suede-y finish this leather has to it. Good job!

Thanks, and yes I agree, the suede-y look on yours is nice!

Karina

I actually just finished one last night. Didn't do any edge work or anything. It's a double piece of horween essex with natural vegtan piece in the center. It's quite large at 15x15" before being snapped together.

12398795 10156232220455251 2146528318 O

12394756 10156232220585251 568793451 O

12404808 10156232220505251 993210632 O

edit: figured out how to link pictures here instead of imgur. :)
Edited by Avian45

I actually just finished one last night. Didn't do any edge work or anything. It's a double piece of horween essex with natural vegtan piece in the center. It's quite large at 15x15" before being snapped together.

edit: figured out how to link pictures here instead of imgur. :)

That looks really nice Avian! I love the stitching, nice contrast. I had thought about putting a piece of veg tan into the bottom as well since I can't stamp the leather I used. Is the veg tan stitched down too then? Thanks for sharing!

Yes the vegtan is stitched down with the same thread as the border of the Essex. I glued the entire thing down then stitched the edge all the way around. Then I just simply made a checker board type grid with a groove tool. Nice and simple. :)

Interesting, as I just made four as gifts yesterday, but out of heavy canvas and round. Can you unsnap and lay flat for me?

Hmmm, well even laying flat is suspect and optimistic on days if it's a fast mover. I guess I ws asking Andy, but now I'm embarrassed and shy.

II may have to try some of those designs. Here is my unfinished version. I do the pinch the corners and secure with chicago screws or rivets style . I put the flesh side up so I can carve a design. It is the first time I put them in a celtic themed craft show and they all sold.

post-18783-0-57347500-1450537889_thumb.j

Hmmm, well even laying flat is suspect and optimistic on days if it's a fast mover. I guess I ws asking Andy, but now I'm embarrassed and shy.

Here you go! Just slots cut out on opposing sides. Fold up and snap.

post-8183-0-17607000-1450736066_thumb.jp

II may have to try some of those designs. Here is my unfinished version. I do the pinch the corners and secure with chicago screws or rivets style . I put the flesh side up so I can carve a design. It is the first time I put them in a celtic themed craft show and they all sold.

Nice Peter! I'm going to do some with a tooled veg tan "patch" sewn into the bottom. This way I can customize them a little more.

Thank you Andy. I figured that's what it looked like. I just wanted to be sure.

Took a page from Avian45's book, and put a piece of vegtan in the center instead of lining it. I really like the look this way, and it allowed for a little personalization. This one is going to my Father-n-law.

post-32363-0-60659400-1455133604_thumb.j

Karina

Took a page from Avian45's book, and put a piece of vegtan in the center instead of lining it. I really like the look this way, and it allowed for a little personalization. This one is going to my Father-n-law.

attachicon.gif20160210_143046-1 (566 x 552).jpg

Karina

Looks great Karina! I like the all-natural look. I had done the same over Christmas for a few gifts except I dyed them. I do like the veg tan bottom for the extra personalization as well. Awesome gifts!

post-8183-0-96624000-1455135911_thumb.jp

P.S. Disregard the wonky stitching. I pulled it out and restitched before I wrapped it up. Haha!

Edited by AndyL1

Looks great Karina! I like the all-natural look. I had done the same over Christmas for a few gifts except I dyed them. I do like the veg tan bottom for the extra personalization as well. Awesome gifts!

attachicon.giftray.jpg

P.S. Disregard the wonky stitching. I pulled it out and restitched before I wrapped it up. Haha!

Thanks, and I really love the hand stamped letter. That color compliments the tray very nicely.

I have several more on the drying rack. They were dyed black, brown, and saddle tan, but they needed to finish drying. The natural one I was able to complete right away. The black one the buyer asked for the his initial to be in light blue with light blue stitching, can't wait to see how that turns out. :dunno:

Karina

Very nice tray, @AndyL1! Do you mind sharing which font you used for the monogram? 

Thanks!

On January 12, 2018 at 6:19 PM, Sceaden said:

Very nice tray, @AndyL1! Do you mind sharing which font you used for the monogram? 

Thanks!

Thanks! I don't remember what it was called off hand. I'll see if I can find it...