PcCowboy

Closing Saddle Shop

I have retired and closed my shop (Lewis Saddle Shop) I need some advice on the best way to sell everything. Should I sell the shop as a package or piece it out? And how do I figure out what everything is worth?

Thank you for any thoughts on the matter.

Dallas Tieking (Owner) Lewis Saddle Shop Hereford Tx

Here is a quick list of what I have to deal with,

2 flatbeds sewing machines, 1 singer foot paddle patcher, 1 landis 6 wheel finisher, 1 landis #12 boot stitcher, 1 Boogle and greenwell 15 ton hydraulic clicker, 1 370 Adler sewing machine, 2 stamping tables, 2 work benches, a 4 foot and a 8 foot, 1 cutting table, 4' x 8', 2 saddles stands 1 a draw down. All the tools and equipment needed for a saddle and boot shop. 50 years of patterns and books for, saddles, boots, bags, belts, chaps, purses, and holsters. A 5 in one and a 12 inch W. H. Horn leather splinter. Many more items I can't list from memory.

I would be interested in some books and patterns that might help someone just starting to learn.

Heavens, if I only lived closer and had won the lottery. Anyway, would be interested in the holster patterns, what do you have? PM a list, please. Thanks

I have thought about the question you are asking, for myself, a lot. When that time comes for me, if I am still alive, what will I do? Personally, I think an auction would be my best bet. To sell as a complete, intact business and not feel as if you are giving much away, I think one would really have to have a "name" and well established reputation on a national level, and you would be selling that reputation as much as the machinery and inventory. Piece mealing it out will possibly net you more than selling as a whole, but the downside(s) to that is it's one whole heck of a lot of fooling around with every Tom Dick and Harry looky loo that "wants to do a little leatherwork". And, there will be things left over that nobody wants. The main items will sell fast and first, and you'll be left with the less desired stuff. Which of course you could at some point give away or trash if you can't sell it. It all depends on your individual situation, how much you want/need out of your investment, and how much work you're willing to put into it. Like I said, myself, I'd lean toward having an auction, but don't take that as advice since every situation is different, and you might not have enough to warrant having an auction. I am working hard at accumulating enough stuff to make sure I will:-)

I'd be interested in some of your tools and patterns

mikekratz@hotmail.com

Much as i would like to say send my some patterns, I would offer a price on the full shop -- if you dont get it, piece it out on Ebay -- if you do auction it like that let me know!