Seagrove59

Diy Slicker/burnisher

I made a slicker/burnisher this date with a left over piece of Birdseye maple. Reading some of the forums by people that make the power burnisher I see they use a natural oiled wood that are superior to native woods. As I don't have access to those woods and am kinda proud of how this one turned out, Any suggestions as to how I should finish this one. I have access to danish oil, mineral oil, beeswax and a beeswax mineral oil combo.

Any suggestions welcomepost-58690-0-71967800-1455310902_thumb.j

I might not be necessary to apply anything to it. Just using it to burnish edges will deposit the various waxes and such you use to burnish the edges right on to the burnisher. This just means a break-in period, I suppose. As long as you can get the working surfaces very shiny and smooth, it should get the job done.

The primary reasons to be using any of the exotic woods that these other burnishers are made from has to do with the level of oils/resin existing in the wood and the very tight grain. This allows for a very smooth surface and little to no need to break it in.

Bottom line, get your working surfaces smoothed out and then start running some test burnishing on scrap without any additional stuff than you would be using to burnish the edges of the leather. You should feel proud, your burnisher looks great and all it needs is to be put to work.

Thanks for the reply, the working surfaces came out very smooth, lots of hand sanding through grit levels. Good idea re the waxes, hadn't thought of that but it does make sense. I did put a beeswax/mineral oil coat on it and let it set over night, will likely just use the waxes from the edgings from now on.

Peter