Sign in to follow this  
megabit

Romal Reins, Long Knot Ground Work Question

Hey, I am working on my first set of romal reins. I'll try to get some progress pics up soon. I have the body of the reins and romal done and am getting ready to start putting the buttons on.

That brings me to my question, what do you guys prefer for the ground work on the long buttons? Lattigo? Veg tan? Series of ring knots close together?

Thanks,

Mike

Personally, I prefer a series of ring knots, with a wrap or two on the ends to taper a little bit. I like it because I feel it's more stable.

The truth is though you use what works, and what you have. Sometimes I did not have any more lace to tie the ring knots and so I used electrician's tape! Of course when I started I braided baling twine. You use what is there. Yeah, sure, if I'd had a ton of money I would have used a series of ring knots back then, but I did not have it, so I used what was there, and it worked just fine.

My progress so far on my reins. Four plait for the reins over belting leather and 8 plait over a 4 plait rawhide core.

4513505916_7456793328_b.jpg

4513506606_e31db13fff_b.jpg

nice !! looks like you are making good progress with this set of reins. cant wait to see them finished. how does the four plait feel with the leather core. is is more flexible ? how are you going to build up for the buttons? well like i said before looks great keep the pics coming i like the way you show progress on your projects.

It feels ok, a little on the stiff side yet but I think I should be able to get it more supple with some work.

For the small buttons I'll use 4 strand ring knots. I push 2 strands threw the body at right angles and tie the ring knots, I don't think they will move. :)

Progress is slow but here they are so far. Did the ends twice now, I am getting good at cutting buttons off stuff. :)

4540136068_9ebe50f311_b.jpg

4539503253_8af3e2c745_b.jpg

Very nice Mike,

Keep posting the pictures. I want to make a set of these when I get done with the two saddles I'm making now. I will be asking you for some advise and which buttons when I get going.

That's coming along very nice! Your long buttons look great.

Have you planned out the headstall to match it yet? ;)

Will do Joe, it will be the blind leading the blind. :rofl: I am thinking about using Ginfer knots for the buttons. Something a little different than a pineapple and I like how they look. I think I might be short on calf string cut up though. I have maybe 50' x .5" left that I can still cut up if I run out.

Oh and I forgot to include the romal picture so here it is:

4539503167_de971be437_b.jpg

Ok time for a couple more progress pictures.

romal ground work for buttons:

4545020904_490bf8c98d_b.jpg

first 2 buttons on the reins done ginfer knots

4544389131_a1b33c6a09_b.jpg

pineapple added to one side after ginfer:

4544572863_6dfbbcb290_b.jpg

I think I am going to go ginfer pineapple pineapple ginfer long pineapple ginfer pineapple pineapple ginfer or that was the plan when I started anyhow. Now I like the ginfer but it doesn't cover the ground work as well as a 6 bight pineapple I may just use all pineapples to finish. Thoughts, comments, ideas?

Mike

MEGABIT nice very nice !!!! like i said before i really like the way you keep the post updated. the long buttons at the ends look very good. if you want to do something a little diferent for the small knots just do a gaucho from a base 5x4 three passes should be good enough to cover the ring knots and if ts too small you can do it in a 7x6. well great job and keep the pictures comming.

:crazy:Gaucho knots, Fan knot from Bruce Grants book.:Lighten:

Brian

:thumbsup:

Hmmm maybe I'll try playing with expanding the ginfer to over 4 vs 3. Anyone ever do that? How did it work out?

Wow Mike, you are doing a great job on these! Seems you can teach an ol' dog new tricks!! Just kidding! I might need to get you to make me a set soon!

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Wow Mike, you are doing a great job on these! Seems you can teach an ol' dog new tricks!! Just kidding! I might need to get you to make me a set soon!

Vaya con Dios, Alan

Thanks Alan it has sure been a long haul to get where I actually like what I am putting out. Hell as long as this set is taking me you might have to wait a LONG time for me to get to a set. Robin wants a pair that are shorter for EXCA and roping, most of her's are real long for the reining / reined cow horse pen. She wants some more practical.

Another progress picture. 12 buttons done, 3 long buttons and 12 more small left to go. Ohh and connectors, popper buttons and the sliding buttons.

4552767525_b0c9c3598e_b.jpg

Progress is way slow but I am getting close now.

4576994147_d5b538aa56_b.jpg

This has been a monster of a project. I fairly happy with my buttons but I wish I could get them to match a little closer.

well Megabit let me tell you that this is looking great !!!!! i particularly think your buttons look good. as far as making them look more like "twins" i should tell you that what helps me is making the ground work even it pretty much takes me more time to figure out what size is good than actually tying the buttons. . but liek i said before these look really good i think and like allways the progress pics are great. take care and keep it going