LTRA84

Embossing Chrome And Vegetable Tanned Leather

Hello. I have both vegetable and chrome tanned leather. What is the best way of embossing/de bossing both using the same dies/embosser. I have limited funds so can't afford two seperate machines.

You can deboss both with an arbor press. 1+ ton should be sufficient.

I purchased a hot stamper for less than what my Famco arbor press cost. It gives better results and does not require as much pressure, so it is possible to get more detail without cutting the grain with fine lines. You can also deboss with foil. Neat.

You cannot whack a hand die hard enough with a mallet to satisfactorily mark chromed tanned leather in my experience. I wouldn't waste my money if I could go back in time.

You can have a dozen or more dies suitable for an arbor press or hot stamping machine made by Owosso out of 3/8" magnesium for less than one of the dies made by some of the "makers mark" outfits that advertise, post, or are mentioned here. This only requires you to be able to do your design in a vector graphics program.

Nstarleather thank you for your response. The heat one cannot be used on a vegetable tanned leather because it will make it shrink. Is that correct? In your opinion there is nothing that can be used for both?