Richard Wasnock

Good Machine For Sewing Thinner Leather?

Looking for a good machine to sew thinner leather with.

I have the Aerostitch and the Boss, but they don't really work for that kind of stuff. Looking for other options.

I inherited this old sewing machine, and because of the simplicity of my Aerostitch and Boss it kind of scares me : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Piedmont-Hudsons-Bay-Heavy-Duty-Sewing-Machine-/200499986687

Would that work well enough? Just change the needles up ? What needles ?

Richard

IF, you can get Leather needles for it you could sew 2-3 oz veg tanned. It is obviously a home machine that was never intended for leather.

I have sewn with a leather needle on a home machine but it works them to death even on the thin leathers. This one will probably work you to death. :)

ferg

Looking for a good machine to sew thinner leather with.

I have the Aerostitch and the Boss, but they don't really work for that kind of stuff. Looking for other options.

I inherited this old sewing machine, and because of the simplicity of my Aerostitch and Boss it kind of scares me : http://www.ebay.com/...e-/200499986687

Would that work well enough? Just change the needles up ? What needles ?

Richard

That is NOT enough machine for sewing leather. Instead of re-posting those reasons (and several pages worth of text), I'll just direct you to this thread: click me.

That should give you an idea of what type of machine is required. We can further give you some recommendations, but we need to know what type of leather you'll be using, how thick you need to sew, and what type of projects you're planning ( whether you'd need a flat bed or would be better off with a cylinder arm).

Hi Richard,

Good question. Everybody normally wants thicker and heavier machines.????

I'm kinda leaning to older good stuff. Look for a singer ...say 31-15 and you'll get all the reliability of years of tried and true sewing, AND you can sew thin leather like a pro.

This is THE machine of boot makers for sewing 4,5,6, oz leather in intricate designs. What more do you want for say... $350 set up?

I paid $70 for the head, about $175 for the serve-pro motor and $65 for a used table. That left a lot for thread, roller foot and needles!

Call Bob @ Toledo Industrial and get the info.

whatdoyouthink.gif

Kevin