JoelR

Intersting Request Outside Of My Comfort Zone

A fellow shooter was picking my brain yesterday and asked about a very specific design he is contemplating. He would like a holster for a Glock 26 that sits within the upper portion of a cowboy boot and has absolutely no external attachment points - essentially built directly into the boot. I've seen ankle rigs that attach to the outside of a boot using the laces to hold the rig in place, and I've seen people use an IWB holster to tuck it into a boot. This falls outside of my comfort zone and am happy to pass him on to anyone who has experience in a rig of this type. Please be aware, due to his muscle structure, something that simply wraps around his ankle will probably not work as he would not be able to get to it without removing the boot so it would probably have to involve a fully modified boot. Any takers? PM me and I'll get you in touch.

I did something like that a while back.I made a two pice hollster and just sewed it to the Boot Top. Hopefully his Jeans has room to pull up to get to pistol.....

I'm not a holster person at all but why not make an ankle holster that straps to the leg that fits within the confines of the boot instead?

That way he doesn't have to have his boots altered every time he buys a new pair.

Large calves leave no room in the top of a standard slip-on boot to get to anything that might be within the boot. Maybe a zipper...

My experience with Cowboy boots and the G26, lead me to ask this. Will it not require a custom pair of boots so that the shaft of the boot will be stiff enough to support the weight of the Glock with a loaded magazine?

My experience with Cowboy boots and the G26, lead me to ask this. Will it not require a custom pair of boots so that the shaft of the boot will be stiff enough to support the weight of the Glock with a loaded magazine?

That was my thought too, I would think the boot would "slouch". Just out of curiosity what part of PA are you from, I'm in York.

Yes, I would think the weight of the pistol would collapse the wall of the boot. I believe he thought so as well as his initial idea was to remove the inner panel (that is, the panel on the arch side of the foot), build the holster in the boot and reattach the panel. My last words to him was it sounds like you really need a custom boot made - That's out of my league and I'll ask around.

usmc: I'm just up the road in Mechanicsburg. Incidentally, my full-time job is in down-town York

Hell, we're practically neighbors. :cheers: I just checked out (and bookmarked) your website. It's cool to find other leatherworkers in the area. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Kind of a preposterous way to carry a GLOCK ... I can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be... but you know the saying: "the customer's always right..."

I doubt the intersection of custom boot/holster makers on this site is very high...?:head_hurts_kr:

Good luck!

I agree and have tried to persuade him to choose a different carry position, but he insists this is what he is looking for. He is an officer and claims it is to fill a need to carry completely concealed in areas where it would be otherwise frowned upon around individuals who would notice tell-tale signs of a concealed holster. Not a good-cop/bad-cop thing but more allong the lines of if in an area where firearms are not welcome, if a bad guy comes in with a firearm, the bag guy is the only one armed. A number of the fast food joints around here are labeled as gun-free zones, Red Lobster will ask an individual to leave if they suspect a concealed weapon (even though it is not posted) as will some department stores like Toys-R-Us (which is posted). At least one of the McDonalds in the area will not even allow on-duty officers to enter with their issued sidearm.

May build a belt for him with attachment points on the lining so that a kydex strap can mount behind the belt for the most obscurity and see if that fits the bill. He had thrown out the idea of velcro-mounted straps that hide in the same way but I personally will not make something that relies on small sections of velcro to keep a holster in place when drawing a firearm. I know it has been done, but I don't trust the logevity or duribility of velcro.

I just finished one for a ruger lcp, but a glock is probably twice as thick. It can be built, but I'm not sure how wearable it would be, unless he has big bird legs.

Well it just so happens there is a boot maker, holster maker and candle stick maker on this site.

Actually I have thought about just such a holster designed into a boot. And all of your concerns are obvious and valid. But it could be done.

There are pattern issues regarding the top panels, not just for big calves, but getting into the boot. If the piece was holstered, room would have to be allowed for the foot to go by. But it could be done.

I'm in Arizona, so if you feel you want to travel...

Paul

Well it just so happens there is a boot maker, holster maker and candle stick maker on this site.

Actually I have thought about just such a holster designed into a boot. And all of your concerns are obvious and valid. But it could be done.

There are pattern issues regarding the top panels, not just for big calves, but getting into the boot. If the piece was holstered, room would have to be allowed for the foot to go by. But it could be done.

I'm in Arizona, so if you feel you want to travel...

Paul

just make the holster attach to the boot. Then put the gun in the holster after the boot is on.

just make the holster attach to the boot. Then put the gun in the holster after the boot is on.

"But it could be done".

Ive done it, just for a smaller pistol.

"But it could be done".

A lot of good valid points of conjecture here but there's a few facets missing to this gem of a post~ and probably most are end-user and fabricator related. But I'm just wondering~ where can you still buy bell-bottom pants to hide this bovine work of art?:rofl: JK....

I'll take it on if he doesn't mind working with the left coast~!

Peace~

Scott

albyneau: PM Sent.