Sign in to follow this  
calanneh

When less is more.....

This topic came up in a post today and it picked my interest. Not wanting to hijack the other thread as this was not the main subject, I thought I would start a new one. In the original, the poster kind of apoligized for his latest creation being 'simple' and not intricately carved. I thought it was great and so did everybody else that replied. We all know that a 'simple clean' project can be just as beautiful as an intricate carving.....

I love a 'simple' tool case or sword frog. Clean lines and natural colors get me everytime.

Attached is a pic of a pliers case I made for a buddy. It has his initials and a US Flag stamp for him, but I love it even without those embelishments. The attached pic of sword frogs shows a few with stamps and lacing and a few 'simple' ones that I love even more.

What would each of you say to a new Leatherworking about 'when less is more'? Do you have some beatiful 'simple' projects you would like to share?

William

plierscase.JPG

Frogs.JPG

post-6419-1226297330_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1226297346_thumb.jpg

I'm with you, William. I mostly prefer the plainer, less decorative look. I'll work for many hours, and go thru many design variations trying to get the shape and the proportion that seems right to me. I don't even know how to tool anything, but that's by choice, as it gets projects done quicker, and keeps the cost down. I guess that I'm just a Functionoid.

I think that there are proportions and balances that look right, because they are in tune with some kind of natural proportional sense that we have locked up in our biological make up. Like the 3 to 5 ratio of the Parthenon. So, I just keep tweaking until it satisfies me. Aeronautical engineers have a rule of thumb, that if it looks right, it probably is right. And when it looks right, it makes me feel better than an ice cold beer.

Daggrim