ShortBBL

New Ruger Holster And A Finish Question!

I made this one out of pre-dyed Chestnut skirting... I tried givin it the ole quick-dip in neatsfoot oil but man... it sure ended up way darker than i had hoped.

For those who use neatsfoot oil on a chestnut type leather.... how do you keep it from being so dark?

2cfp7vm.jpg

I use 50/50 neatsfoot and U-82 Saddlers oil from Weaver. It helps thin out the neatsfoot and it (color) comes back in a relatively short amount of time.

Frank

it actually looks pretty SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you using PRIME, neatsfoot oil, or PURE neatsfoot oil.

I was told that PRIME will darken the leather a little but PURE will not, i use PURE and do not notice any darkening.

I'm using 100% Neatfoot Oil (Shep's from Weaver Leather). Man... I am really not diggin how these three came out. Today I tried really hard to just put a super light coat of the neatsfoot oil on these, figuring I had just been getting too much on the other holsters... but yikes...... this is killin me!

H E L P !!! Any more ideas here??

I'm so desperate, I may post this in the finishes section too. This is painful to look at. I think i will have to make these three all DARK now... unless you guys think they will dry out lighter in a month or two! ha ha

30wkrhj.jpg

Leather hides are as unique as the animals they came from. It's one of the things you have to learn to get around. Grab some more leather and test this oil against some different oil.

what leather are you using? and how are you molding (boning) the holsters. it almost looks like they're not getting enough moisture into the leather and you may be burnishing them when you press the shape of the gun in them. i soak mine until the bubbles stop then let air dry for about 15 min before i start molding the gun to them. i have never dipped my holsters in neatsfoot but do apply it with a dauber and actually love the look i get with the oiled chestnut.

Tony

Have you tried simply brushing it on the exterior surfaces only? I remember seeing Lexol makes a non-darkening version of their conditioner - maybe give that a try?

Leather hides are as unique as the animals they came from. It's one of the things you have to learn to get around. Grab some more leather and test this oil against some different oil.

I'm half thinking it could be this piece of leather since I have used neatsfoot recently with no problems! This is a new "Back" of the same type I have used though. Real unhappy with how these are looking right now! Ouch.

what leather are you using? and how are you molding (boning) the holsters. it almost looks like they're not getting enough moisture into the leather and you may be burnishing them when you press the shape of the gun in them. i soak mine until the bubbles stop then let air dry for about 15 min before i start molding the gun to them. i have never dipped my holsters in neatsfoot but do apply it with a dauber and actually love the look i get with the oiled chestnut.

Tony

This is Wickett & Craig Skirting pre-dyed in Chestnut. To mold/bone, I have been just giving a maybe 10 second dunk... not until all bubble are gone. And, I start doing some mild gun shaping in about 2 minutes! Email me a picture or two of how yours are coming out if you can. Thanks

Have you tried simply brushing it on the exterior surfaces only? I remember seeing Lexol makes a non-darkening version of their conditioner - maybe give that a try?

I've normally used wool daubers on the exterior and interior. I don't put much on, just enough so the leather looks like it all got a coating of it.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I need to keep pluggin away at this til I get a nice finish!

OK guy, from the grumpy old man; I shoot a final coat of neatsfoot on all of my holsters with an airbrush. Just a nice, even, LIGHT coat over the whole thing. It soaks in and changes the color very little. I think a dunking......no matter how quickly done, will add too much oil, and have the effect that you are getting. Mike

OK guy, from the grumpy old man; I shoot a final coat of neatsfoot on all of my holsters with an airbrush. Just a nice, even, LIGHT coat over the whole thing. It soaks in and changes the color very little. I think a dunking......no matter how quickly done, will add too much oil, and have the effect that you are getting. Mike

Maybe I'll grab one of those plastic spray bottles at the hardware store and give that a try on some scraps....

I'm also going to try some of the lighter u-82 oil as well.

Thanks guys!