RobDude30

Storing Your Tools

I've recently started buying better quality tools and just can't make myself hang them on the peg board with the metal hangers that I have always hung my Tandy tools on. I'm afraid that I will scratch them or dull them. LOL! After all, these things cost a lot of money. All of my tools are users, meaning that i use them for my leatherwork, but i do want to treat them well while they are just hanging around. I guess my question is, how do your store your tools? How do you store your stitching awls to protect the blades? I've seen some use a wine cork, but have wondered if there is residual chemical in the cork that might react badly with the metal. Am I being too anal?

For the awl blade take a 1/2" hole punch and punch out a lot of dots. Punch s hole in the middle of each one that your awl has to push into. Glue the stack together. Perfect blade protector.

I use a high density foam for storing mine. For what it's worth, I have used a wine cork for storing a jerk (hook) needle for many years and I have not seen any damage as of yet.

My shop is in my dining room, so I'm forced to put everything away after I use it - no peg board and metal hangers for me. :(

I made a little sheath for my awl, and it, the needles, and scissors all go in one pouch, with all my pricking irons and edge bevelers in another pouch. It's nice to be able to grab the whole pouch. It's also nice to use samples of leather I have laying around and see how they wear over time.

post-38542-0-86661500-1438358924_thumb.j

All great ideas! Thanks!

Wine corks for the awls

Simple slip - on blade covers or protectors for any blades, made from odds & ends of leather

These, and things like pencils & rulers, are kept in a compartmented drawer insert intended for cutlery, from an old kitchen cabinet

Any liquids - dyes, oils etc are kept in a plastic tool caddy with a handle, the sort of thing designed for caretakers/janitors to carry cleaning materials & tools around. It is usually kept on a side shelf and only moves to the workbench when needed

(Note to self; I need to buy some more awls.....)

I use a wine cork on all my awls. Nice thing about the is I also use it on the back side of the leather to push the awl into as it goes through the the leather so it's not moving around while I stab it.

My edge bevel tools all go in leather loops I formed out of a one inch strap. Just find a dowel or pvc pipe to make the loop part. The diameter needs to be the size that your handle can slide into but not fall through. If you want half inch spacing or three-quarter inch spacing or a 1 inch spacing between each tool simply buy a piece of molding that size and cut that into sections. Soak the strap. Tack the first spacer over the end of the strap. Put the first section of dowel/pvc pipe under the strap place the spacer next the the dowel and tack it on to give you the spacing you want, place the next dowel and them your spacer, tack, insert, repeat till the end. I tack mine to a two by for. I tack my spacers above and below the leather because nails will turn the leather black when wet. When it dries you have a tool bandolier you can attach to the wall. You need to use veg tan since chrome tan won't form.

Edited by Oldtoolsniper

I use wine corks and never have had a problem with them. I also made a few tool rolls out of suede for my chisels and specialty stamping tools.

Edited by capsterdog