Turn n Burn

Eagle Carving

That is insane! Great work!

Unbelievable work, I would love to look over your shoulder!!!!!

Thanks everyone im pretty happy with it so far going to mount it on a piece of plywood like the red tailed hawk I did but thinking of painting background or having a friend do it never really like anything I have painted

Thanks everyone im pretty happy with it so far going to mount it on a piece of plywood like the red tailed hawk I did but thinking of painting background or having a friend do it never really like anything I have painted

I agree Turn n Burn, I sometimes think paint ruins a leather project.

Very nice!

Thanks you

Tom. Its been about a year since I got in to leather working this is the second piece that ive done like this. But ive been doing some type of artwork all my life. Ive done quite alot of pyrography and find this type od leather work similar

Nice work! personally I think some painting will make the carving look better. The trick is thinning it just right to get the color while still leaving the leather showing thru. It will still look like a leather carving and give nice detail to the eyes and such. Here's something I painted a while back that might give you ideas. Troy

post-47316-0-13432900-1390245311_thumb.j

Edited by Troy Burch

Thanks Troy amazing job on that piece. What type of paint do you use? I was planning on mounti. it like this hawk I recently finishedpost-41644-0-92893900-1390247589_thumb.j

but not sure if I want to use the white stitches and maybe I will paint the background as well thinking I will use a wood frame any ideas are welcome

Wow. That is some awesome work. Looking forward to see that one completed

I just used some cheep water based colors from hobby lobby, cova colors work also, they're thinned down so much it's not really paint anymore. I'd probly lose the stitching, but it's just personal preference. Have you thought about a tree round with the bark still on it instead of plywood.

Love the detail in the individual feathers.

Cheers

Shaun

Beautiful Work , so realistic looking !

That is over the top AMAZING!! I cant get over the detail. What patience you must have. Well cool thing is you have inspired me to try something like that in the future.

Alex

Tried some painting last night did the head and tail. Any advice on how to keep thw paint from gluing down the feathers? Had to go back over and lift them took some of the color out and dosnt look as good as before20140124_110515.jpg

post-41644-0-46356600-1390586757_thumb.j

I'm sorry, I should have addressed that before, I just didn't think about it. After the carving is finished and dry I take blockout (a resist and finish product from tandy) and brush it on the areas I'm going to paint then use one of my modeling spoons that has a sharp point on one end to pick and lift the feathers or hair etc. When you get them looking like you want just let it dry, the blockout will stiffen the feathers in place and then it can be painted without any problems. Only do small areas at a time so you can get it like you want it before it stiffens, be liberal with the blockout brush it on heavy.

Simply amazing! The attention to detail is so wondrful, I would love to learn how to do such a realistic looking piece

Thanks everyone im vary happy with this one and that dosnt happen that often. Any suggestions for a finish to use? I ran out of supersheen and thinking of going with resolene this will just be a wall hanging so not exposed to the elements here is a bit of progress20140202_144021.jpg

post-41644-0-17183200-1391378167_thumb.j