Sign in to follow this  
Stagdag

Getting back into leatherworking....

Made this out of some astoundingly ugly leather, after attempting todye the leather I gave up and am now somewhat resigned to it.

00001-2.jpg

Made in the Middle Ages fashion with a flap and a "neck." Button is a piece of buffalo horn left over from handling my GRK. The sheath is the second I've made recently, Plains-Indians style w/out a welt. I may try making some with welts rather than without them as I tend to keep my edged tools quite sharp.

Belt loop detail:

00005-1.jpg

I had riveted it but the rivets were obviously a weak point with such thin leather, so I also bartacked it at key points.

Current contents:

00008-2.jpg

There's more in therebiggrin.gif including my silver and my herb pouches.

This is my silver pouch (I call it "cutpurse's delight":D):

00003-19.jpg

This was the other sheath:

00001.jpg

Here's a .22/.177 cal pouch for my belt:

FinalStage.jpg

Finalstage2.jpg

Holds approx. 100rnds of .22LR.

This was my first time utilizing a gusset (on the medieval girdle purse) so it is terribleIMHO...first times always are at least in my experience. I almost sewedin some pouchlets or sleeves for small items, I might still do thateventually.

Till now I have relied too much on my stitching awl, which is easy to use and produces excellent results but makes me lazy:p

Constructive criticism very welcome, as are any tips re: dyeing leather:)

Cheers,

PMZ

Hi! Looks like all holds together, and will be of good service! As to dying leather, it's easiest to dye veg leather, and more difficult to dye chrome leather. I'm not sure what you have available as to products, but I've used everything from leather dyes to walnut hulls, and I kind of think it's what ever floats your boat! :)

Kevin